Question
driver for wireless printing upgrade kit compatible with windows 7
Replies (70)

Top Student
wochnick67
Message 61 of 71 (1,484 Views)

Re: driver for wireless printing upgrade kit compatible with windows 7

Okay...I am so sorry..but I don't know what I am doing wrong.  I have a wireless router....my (W7) laptop is hooked up to...my XP desktop is not though..it is hooked up through cable....

So I have done EVERYTHING you and the manual are telling me and still can't print without using the stupid adapter...Yes I am getting a bit mad....rrr :smileyhappy:

Please help in baby terms because I am not getting what I am doing wrong or not doing at this point...I have no idea who I can call either....I always thought of myself somewhat computer savvy but not with this wireless stuff.

Thanks Tara

Intern
Bally
Message 62 of 71 (1,473 Views)

[ Edited ]

Okay Tara, you have a wireless router, but is the wireless printing kit configured to work with your wireless router? SSID, encryption, etc, did you enter all that?

If you are using Mac address filtering on the wireless router, you should also add the Mac address of the wireless printing kit on the router. 

Until now it looks like you have been using it in Ad-hoc mode as you are working with the usb adapter on XP, and not in Infrastructure mode.

Do the following:

Remove the usb adapter from the XP machine.

You can check if the kit is working on your network if you right mouse click on the Connection Manager icon in the system tray and select About. You should see two IP addresses. The second IP address should be in the range of the addresses of your home network.

Can you ping that address? On the XP machine go to Start, run and type cmd and hit Enter. A black window will open. Type the following:

Ipconfig  this will show you your IP address on the XP machine.

Type ping x.x.x.x  in the place of the x, fill the IP address that the router has assigned to the wireless printing kit, so the second IP address. Check if you get a reply.

Do the same now from the Win 7 machine and check if it replies.

If it replies you should be able to print from it as well.

If you see that it does not reply correctly or you don’t have a second IP address on the wireless printing kit, then do the steps as mentioned in the manual to configure it to work with your home network by entering all the wireless settings.

Grtz. Bally

Top Student
wochnick67
Message 63 of 71 (1,457 Views)

Hi Bally,

Well I tried and tried (10+ hours), we called a friend over that is pretty computer savvy and he too could not get them to print the way they should.  So I have uninstalled the upgrade kit, hooked the printer up to my xp-desktop and that is it.  We will most likely go buy a new wireless printer.  Thanks again for ALL your help, I really do appreciate it!!

Intern
Bally
Message 64 of 71 (1,437 Views)

Hi Tara, I see it is still not working on your network, even after trying 10+ hours. I still wonder did the kit received an IP address from your router and did the ping to the IP address give replies?

If you want I can give it a look remotely by connecting via Remote Assistance. Drop me a pm if I can help out.

Top Student
wochnick67
Message 65 of 71 (1,430 Views)

Thanks Bally!!  I talked to my "other half" and he would rather just cut the loses and go buy a new one.  What a pain, good thing we didn't have super great weather here this last week-end (seattle area)!!!  Thanks again for ALL your help.

Honor Student
anjgupta
Message 66 of 71 (1,143 Views)

Hi,
Honor Student
anjgupta
Message 67 of 71 (1,143 Views)

Hi,

The work around worked perfectly for me some months ago.  Upon retrying (due to some spooling error) - I cannot get the pop ups to appear.  Have set the UAC and all.  Could more details be provided - should the printer be installed via the USB cable first?  Should the PC have the adapter inserted into a USB port?  Should the wireless gadget be plugged in?  Etc.

Thanks - hope to regain wireless printing.

Student
jw48439
Message 68 of 71 (1,074 Views)

Fantastic! Thank you so much!:smileyvery-happy:

Student
hcoldenburg
Message 69 of 71 (698 Views)

[ Edited ]

Kudos to Bally for this solution - It works on Windows 7!!!:smileyvery-happy:

Wait until the Vista update runs to 90% on top and 10% on bottom.

1.) Use Task Manager to stop wireless setup wizard.

2.) Wait for Windows 7 to ask if this was installed properly - choose Install this software

3.) Install runs to completion

4.) Web page pops up and asks you to connect - choose connect and your done...

(there are more details but this is a summary setup)

Kudos Bally!!

H.

Student
Danithestylist
Message 70 of 71 (296 Views)

ok so my computer just automatically tells me as soon as I put the CD in that it's not compatible and it won't even run it at all.  Any other ideas??

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation