Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I use two different printers frequently; each time the message that I need to update my IP address using the start menu.  So I click on the Microsoft icon on my bottom left computer screen, select "All Programs", then select "HP" from the list.  Then the list of printers comes up.  Then I click on my printer, and another list comes up.  It says Help, HP Pro 8500 (my printer but DON'T select), HP Scan, shop for supplies, uninstall, etc.  Right under "Uninstall", it says "Update IP address".  I click on that, allow HP to make changes to my computer, then enter the IP address in the boxes shown.  I got the IP address from the front display of my printer.  I entered this #, selected Save.  This worked, but really, why is it so difficult to switch printers, and why doesn't my HP Pro Book see the IP address of my HP printer automatically??

HP Recommended

I am not sure why your HP software does not detect this automatically, but I know how to fix it so you don't have to mess with it anymore:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you do not know the range, change the last set of numbers (those after the last '.') to 250
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS. This is Google DNS. You can choose another external DNS if you wish.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you should update the IP address in the HP software with the new one and be done with it.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

I am not the most computer literate person so hopefully someone will be able to help me. I have a HP Photosmart D110b printer. I have not had a probelm printing wirelessly with it since I set it up until about a week ago. It just stopped printing wirelessly. When I print a wireless test page everything passes. But I am getting a message at the top saying there are other network names (4 to be exact). However, the network name it shows is my router. I have tried to set a static IP address by doing something similar to what is listed here. When I go an type the new IP address into my browser, it won't bring up the printer page. So now I can't even get back on to that page to change it.

I have tried uninstallin and reinstalling the printer, setting the printer to factory defaults, making sure all Windows updates are done, etc. There is one critical HP update that I have tried to install several times and it keeps failing. It says it's critical for the PC to communicate with the printer, so I don't know if that is part of the problem or not.

I tried doing a USB to wireless install and during the process, I am getting a message that says, " The gateway address of the printer does not match the network to which the printer is connected. Reconfigure the setting to your printer to match. The PC and the printer are connected to different networks. They must be connected to the same network. This can happenwhen you use the manufacturer's default network name (SSID) and another nearby network is using the same name."

When I go into the wireless settings on the printer and set up a new wireless connection, it reads my router, lets me put a password in and says I'm connected but still won't print! Very frustrated at this point. I feel like the more I do, the more I am messing it up and can't fix it.

I do not have an Update IP address option when I click on Start, HP, (my printer's name). So I can't fix it that way.

I also went in under Devices and Printers and did an Add a Printer after installing again and did that.

I have Norton 360 on my computer and am running Windows 7.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

HP Recommended

Download and run this utility:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&jumpid=ex_r4155/hho/ipg/ccdoc/p...

What does it say?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I have a hp 6000 and it's telling me to change my gateway ip address. I read the first answer and do not even know how to begin to do that.  Is there a way to explain it like you're speaking to a third grader? Thanks!

HP Recommended

Well, if you are getting this error, you must have changed the gateway address manually somehow.

The simplest way to fix this is to reset the printer, then re-install it.  Are you willing to do that?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

when changing from one router to another the gate way changed from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1

when i asked the  hp software to rerun the printer for the new router with the gateway 192.168.1.1  it generated an ip address of 192.168.0.5. there is now no way to connect to the printer using the wireless connection to change its address. you have two alternatives change the gateway of the router or connect up the old router  PRESUMING IT STILL WORKS ; WHICH MAY NOT BE THE CASE IF YOU HAVE GOT A NEW ROUTER.

I CONNECTED UP THE OLD ROUTER AND WAS ABLE TO ACCESS THE PRINTER  AND CHANGED THE IP ADDRESS TO 192.168.1.5 THEN CONNECTED UP THE NEW ROUTER AND RAN THE SOFTWARE FOR THE PRINTER. THIS WORKS. HP REALY NEED TO MAKE ACCESSING THE IP SETTINGS FOR THE PRINTER THROUGH A PHYSICAL CONNECTION LIKE THE USB CABLE. TIME FOR THIS A WHOLE DAY AS IT WAS A WHILE BEFORE I REALISED THAT THE HP SOFTWARE KEPT GIVING THE PRINTER AN IP ADDRESS INCOMPATIBLE WITH THE DEFAULT GATE WAY

HP Recommended

Let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you do not know the range, change the last set of numbers (those after the last '.') to 250
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS. This is Google DNS. You can choose another external DNS if you wish.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

My IP address changed and my printer no longer works. How do I get it to work again? em

HP Recommended

What operating system?  What printer?  What router?

I am employed by HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.