hp envy 114 e-all-in-one printer (1307 Views)
Honor Student
Lynnwishy
Message 1 of 9 (1,307 Views)
Accepted Solution

hp envy 114 e-all-in-one printer

Hi, we have just bought this printer with our new iMac and set it up. My question is that once it goes into standby/powered down mode I find that when I try to print it won't let me unless I go to the printer and physically turn it on. Is there a way to have it set up to be in a standby mode whereby when I hit print it automatically powers up and prints, and I don't have to go and switch it on?? Any help,would be much appreciated. Thanks
Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 2 of 9 (1,295 Views)

Re: hp envy 114 e-all-in-one printer

What OS X version is being used (10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, etc.)?  

Is the printer connected over a network or through a USB cable?  If it is over a network, is it connected through Ethernet or wireless and what brand/model is the router?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
Lynnwishy
Message 3 of 9 (1,292 Views)

10.7, it is a wireless connection and we have BT Infinity broadband

Lynn
Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 4 of 9 (1,279 Views)

The thing is, the printer is supposed to "wake up" when a print job is sent to it.  I suspect that the printer is actually losing the network connection when it goes to standby and then the shutdown timer is activate so it turns off.  The printer should not power down completely when it is connected to a wireless network and this is what makes me suspect that it loses the connection.

Strangely enough, setting a static IP address can help with this.

1.  Press the wireless icon at the top of the printer's screen and press print info to print a network configuration page.

2.  On a computer, enter the IP address of the printer into a web browser as if you were going to a site.

3.  The printer status page should load.  Click on Network at the top.

4.  Click on Networking on the left.

5.  Click on Network Address (IP) on the left.

6.  By default, this is set to Automatic IP.  Change this to Manual IP and all the fields should become editable and blank.

7.  Click on Suggest a Manual IP address and it sh ould popular the first 3 sets of fields.

8.  Get the network page printed in step 1.  Verify that the manual default and subnet mask is the same.  Verify that the first 3 sets of numbers in the IP address field are the same as the IP address on the printout.  For example, 192.168.1.50 is on the page and 192.168.1.243 is on the settings page (the last number can be different as long as it is not a 0 or a 255).

9.  Enter 8.8.8.8 for the Preferred DNS server and 8.8.4.4 for the Alternate DNS server.

10.  Click Apply.  After a few moments, you should get a success message.  When you do, close that browser page and power off the printer for 30 seconds and then power it back on (this will force the new settings to take effect).

At this point, the printer has a static IP address and this should keep the printer's communication open even when in sleep mode.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
Lynnwishy
Message 5 of 9 (1,268 Views)

Thanks very much a quick response that has now solved my problem. Excellent feedback. Appreciate your help. Lynn
Honor Student
Lynnwishy
Message 6 of 9 (1,268 Views)

Thanks very much a quick response that has now solved my problem. Excellent feedback. Appreciate your help. Lynn

Cloud_Strider wrote:

The thing is, the printer is supposed to "wake up" when a print job is sent to it.  I suspect that the printer is actually losing the network connection when it goes to standby and then the shutdown timer is activate so it turns off.  The printer should not power down completely when it is connected to a wireless network and this is what makes me suspect that it loses the connection.

Strangely enough, setting a static IP address can help with this.

1.  Press the wireless icon at the top of the printer's screen and press print info to print a network configuration page.

2.  On a computer, enter the IP address of the printer into a web browser as if you were going to a site.

3.  The printer status page should load.  Click on Network at the top.

4.  Click on Networking on the left.

5.  Click on Network Address (IP) on the left.

6.  By default, this is set to Automatic IP.  Change this to Manual IP and all the fields should become editable and blank.

7.  Click on Suggest a Manual IP address and it sh ould popular the first 3 sets of fields.

8.  Get the network page printed in step 1.  Verify that the manual default and subnet mask is the same.  Verify that the first 3 sets of numbers in the IP address field are the same as the IP address on the printout.  For example, 192.168.1.50 is on the page and 192.168.1.243 is on the settings page (the last number can be different as long as it is not a 0 or a 255).

9.  Enter 8.8.8.8 for the Preferred DNS server and 8.8.4.4 for the Alternate DNS server.

10.  Click Apply.  After a few moments, you should get a success message.  When you do, close that browser page and power off the printer for 30 seconds and then power it back on (this will force the new settings to take effect).

At this point, the printer has a static IP address and this should keep the printer's communication open even when in sleep mode.

Student
mcarrizosa
Message 7 of 9 (1,208 Views)

Thanks!!! I had the same problem with my HP Envy 114 too... Now thanks to you is solved! Great help and support from your end. 

Best regards,

Marianna

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 8 of 9 (1,205 Views)

I am glad the resolution was useful.  Thanks for letting the community know!  :smileyhappy:

Signature
Honor Student
Joefizzle
Message 9 of 9 (1,000 Views)

I had the same issue myself with my Mac and HP Envy, and the tech I spoke with gave me the same solution, which did work.  Why is it necessary to change the IP address?  I hope HP considers creating a software update to fix this issue.  thank you for being knowledgable.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation