Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
As stated in my previous answer....yes they do have different names. This way I can have them set up on different types of encryption. One is millwardhome and one is millwardhome10. Easily identifiable. The 2.4Ghz is the Alpha only set up. Thanks Again.
Melody
HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem in setting up my 8600 N911a printer. I  followed all the HP troubleshooting solutions to no avail. Were you able to get a resolution?

HP Recommended

body, my office jet 6700 premium is on my wireless network along with my hp computer. i am able to print from my ipad, but not from my computer. i have updated drivers, spent two hours with the tools, all to no avail.

the printer self test tells me all is well, yet when i go to print from the computer, i am getting a "unable to communicate with the printer" message. moreover, i tried to scan and get a message that the scan is disabled.

i have spent many hours and am extremely frustrated-any ideas

[Edited for Personal Information]

i'm at a point to let an  hp tech take control of my computer and fix this-what do you think?

HP Recommended
Has anyone figured this out? I'm having same issue with my officejet 8600
HP Recommended

You may want to try doing a sequential power cycle.  This resets your wifi connections between your printer device, router, and computer.  Follow these steps exactly:

1.  Turn off you router and leave it off.  There should be no lights on the router.

2.  Shut down your computer completely.

3.  Once the computer is shut down completely, turn off your printer using the power button.

4. Once the printer has shut down completely, go back to your router and power it on.  Give about a minute or two fro your router to connect to the provider.

5.  Power on your computer until you see your desktop.

6.  Turn your printer on.  Wait for the main menu to appear, and for the wireless indicator light (usually blue) to be on and steady, not blinking.

After this, sometimes, the print jobs on the print queue will begin to print and the problem is resolved.  If it doesn't do this, then do a test print by printing a document from your computer.  If still not printing, remove and add the printer back to the list of printers, then do a test print.

HP Recommended
What does "remove and add the printer back to the list of printers" mean, please? I am having the same problem with my office jet pro 8500. It stopped printing from all of my devices all of a sudden, all tests and configuration reports are fine and ready. Print jobs just back up in the queue. I can pull up the printer with its IP, but have no idea what to do there.
HP Recommended

I am only familiar with MAC computers.  For MAC computers:

1. Click on apple symbol at upper left of computer screen.

2.  Select System Preferences

3.  Select "Printers and Scanners" or "Print and Fax" or "Print and Scan"

4.  A new window will open up, listing all the printers added to your printers list.

5.  If the printer is listed, select it, then click the minus sign (-) at the bottom next to the plus sign (+) 

6.  You will be asked if you are sure that you want to delete the printer, click "Yes"

7.  The selected will dissapear from the list.  Remove other printers you don't need using the same process.

8.  Add the printer back by clicking on the plus sign, select add device which opens up the add printer window.

9.  On the add printer window, select the device, for wireless, make sure to choose the "bonujour multifunction" printer under kind.\

10.  Before clicking the add button, make sure that the field "print using" or "using" is the name of the printer (ex. officejet 8600)

11.  The printer will be added to the list of printers.

12.  Try printing a test page.

For Windows, basically the same steps but using windows commands or buttons.  If you leave your wireless router on for an extended period of time, connection issues may arise with the printer such as printer offline, printer not connected, or simple nothing happens when you try to print.  Therefore, if this happens to you, please do the sequential power cycle (turn router, computer, and printer then turn them back on in that order.  Make sure each device is complete shut down or off (or up and on) before going to the next device.

HP Recommended

I purchased an OfficeJet Pro 8600 N911a on Nov 2012, and connected it to my home network via WiFi. This printer worked fine until approximately May 2013. After that whenever it entered sleep mode it would be unreachable from my PCs. I suspect the problem was introduced by a firmware update I did at the time. This behavior affected all PCs I have (including XP, Win7, Win8, Surface, etc). And the only way to recover the connection was to reset my WiFi router (through which I get Internet & my TV content).

For ~12 months I have tried every possible workaround proposed I could find on this community, including checking for updated firmware, setting a fixed IP (both on printer and router), disabling sleep mode, reseting factoring settings, re-installing printer driver in all my PCs, using a different router, etc (I did not try a hardwire connection though). Overall I must have spend over 80 hrs trying to figure this out.

I did post on these forums, but as most I did not obtain any response or solution. Last month I sent it for repair, and received a new printer. Not surprinsingly this printer exhibits the exact same behavior.

Before returning this new printer I once again went through these forums and found a post proposing to use WPA1 instead of WPA2. So I did this on the printer - instead of on the router, as proposed by the post:

1. https://«your printer ip address»

2. Network tab

3. Under Network Settings section, WPA-PSK Authenthication option, select WPA1

4. Press Apply

I did this change yesterday. Today the printer worked (if you have similar problems, you now this is "fascinating"), without requiring me to reset the router. Whereas it may be a little early to claim success, it looks a silver bullet to my environment. (If it is not, the printer will go back to repair :))

HP Recommended

I feel a bit silly, but think I should post what my problem was.  My OfficeJet Pro 8600 stopped working (even though it was still connected wirelessly to my router) after I changed from ADSL2 to Cable with a different internet provider.   I was not aware that your computer & devices are given their IP addresses via your internet provider, so mine had all changed.  This wouldn't usually be a problem I don't think, but my printers advanced settings were to set to 'manual IP'.  Once I went into the advanced settings & changed it to 'automatic' my computer found was able to find the printer on its network and away I went!  I hope that makes some sense.  These were all very good tips & I have learnt a lot of terminology in this very frustrating process.  Good luck.

HP Recommended

Did you have one of those cable modems with built-in wifi, or are you using the exact same router as you did on ADSL2? 

If the latter, then the internal IP addresses for your printer should NOT have changed. The IP addresses for your devices inside your house (printer, computer, smartphone, etc.) are assigned by the DHCP in the router, and the router only has the DNS server settings that come from your service provider for accessing stuff outside the house.

It's possible that a couple of devices were fighting over the IP address you had assigned to your printer, and that's why it didn't connect properly. Once you gave it an automatic IP vis DHCP that problem would have cleared itself.

Glad you got it working though. I just changed from a Netgear to a D-Link router, and cannot connect my printer, even though the panel claims it's connected to the static IP address I gave it. Also can't connect my ChromeCast, and my smartphone wasn't working on 2.4ghz, yet is on 5ghz. STRANGE!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.