08-13-2012 09:48 PM
I updated my internet security from wep to wpa my internet is not recognizing my wireless printer hp 1102w
08-15-2012 10:33 AM
What brand and model is the router?
Is the wireless light on the printer a flashing light or a solid light?
Changing wireless settings, including the security type, will cause a wifi network to be seen as a different network even with the SSID remaining the same. More than likely, the printer needs to be reconnected to the network.
There are two ways to accomplish this task.
The first method is to use the WPS (wifi protected setup) feature of the router. Not all routers have this feature and you may need to contact the provider to find out if it does or does not. The printer's wifi light should be flashing at this point since the security type was changed. WPS works by pressing the WPS button on the router and the printer will negotiate the connection with the router. This method does have a risk with it as some routers will scramble the network password when using WPS which results in wireless devices getting disconnected from the network. Most routers do not disconnect devices when using WPS, but I have seen it before.
Because of the risk of devices getting disconnected using WPS, I recommend using the USB to wireless method using the software on a computer. This method will require a computer that is on the wifi network and a USB cable. I recommend uninstalling the software before continuing.
From a fresh start, begin installing the printer software and connect the USB cable when prompted. Select a network install when asked what type of setup you want. The installer should get the printer on the network at this point. At the end, disconnect the USB cable when prompted.
More information can be found here. This document will provide the steps to get the printer installed and on a network.
- HP Printers - Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection
- HP Web-Connected Printers and Supported Cloud Services for HP Printers
- HP LaserJet Printers - 'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the HP Printer Will Not Print
- Setting Up the Printer for a Wireless Network for the HP LaserJet Pro P1102w Printer
- Setting Up the Printer for a Wireless Network for the HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One, ENVY 5530 e-All-in-One, and HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 4510 and 5520 e-All-in-One Printer Series