ip address changing (3645 Views)
Top Student
gutchca
Message 1 of 4 (3,645 Views)

ip address changing

I just hooked up my Hp photo smart 2575 to my router to make it print wireless.  every thing works great however the ip address seems to change every day how can i stop this from happening.  Or why is this happening?
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 2 of 4 (3,640 Views)

Re: ip address changing

The assignment of IP address to network devices is under the control of your router's DHCP server. IP addresses are leased out to devices and once the lease expires, it's perfectly legal (though quite unusual) for the DHCP server to lease out a different IP address to the same device.

This is one reason why the IP address on your printer is changing.

Question: Do you turn off your printer when not in use? If so, this might be the other reason since when the printer is off, its IP address lease may have expired in which case the DHCP server in your wireless-router may have handed out the printer's previous IP address out to another device.

If you want your printer to maintain the same IP address, you have a couple of options. The first option is to reserve an IP address for your printer using the DHCP reservation feature that some router's have. The second option is to assign your printer a static IP address.

The first method is preferred as it prevents duplicate IP addresses from being assigned on your network. The second option is the easiest and you can set the static IP address from the printer's internal web page or from the printer's control panel. When setting a static IP address, try to select one that is outside the range of IP addresses your router is using assignment to other network devices.

A few more questions for you:

• What kind of wireless-router do you have?
  • What is the IP address of the printer now?
  • What IP addresses has the printer been assigned in the past?
Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Top Student
techieatwipro
Message 3 of 4 (3,619 Views)

Hi,

This is Harry who assisted you in getting the 2575 printer get connected wirelessly. Now if you want to keep a permanent IP address for the printer then first check which the ip address tht the printer is getting at this time== Open up an Internet Explorer browser and enter the ip address in the address bar== Hit enter on your keyboard== It will open up the EWS page of the printer== Click on the tab Networking== Click on the Connection Wired on the left hand side of the EWS page== It will give you two options== First, the automatic ip address and the second manual ip address== Select manual ip address== Enter the ip address, the default subnet mask and the default gateway (which you can get by going to the command prompt and type IPCONFIG /ALL)== enter the default DNS server== Click on finish to complete the configuring the manual ip address== Go to printers and faxes window== Do a right click on the printer icon== go to properties and follow the procedure for Add a Port== put in the new ip address== Finish Add a Port wizard== print a test page to check if printer is working fine or not.

Thanks,

Harry

Top Student
gutchca
Message 4 of 4 (3,601 Views)

thank you both i was able to change the I.P. address for the printer and that worked again thanks again
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation