Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

OK, I don't know what is happening with the download.  Let's go troubleshoot the manual process I outlined above.

Yes, you can type your wireless password into the router - it is the only way it is going to be able to join your network.

When you first turn on the printer (the very first time out of the box), the wireless network it broadcasts only broadcasts for either 40 or 60 minutes.  Then it shuts off.

To re-start the broadcast, do step 1. in the instructions.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

This did not work for me. I recently downloaded 10.7. I will be going to college soon and won't have wireless. How can I do this with an ethernet cord?

HP Recommended

oops nevermind, just found the update

HP Recommended

I downloaded and installed all the driver software for Mac OS X 10.7. I completed the installation process, which told me that I had successfully connected wirelessly to the printer. In System Preferences, the printer shows with a green light as "idle."

However, when I try to print, nothing happens. The print queue window says, "Looking for printer. The printer is not connected."

HP Recommended

Is the printer indeed connected wirelessly to your router?  Print a Wireless Network Test from the front of the printer to tell.

in the mean time, let's reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

none of this works for me. 

I'm also on a macbook pro using lion, and i have exactly this model printer. 

1. I set the printer wireless settings to "Restore to Defaults"

2. I then connect to the wi-fi network labelled "HP-Setup..."

that much works fine...

but after that, when i go to the printer settings pane in the "Settings" app and attempt to press the plus button, when i do it finds the printer but clicking the "Add" button doesn't work. It says, "printer software not available" and nothing downloads.

I can't do anything. If a driver DOES exist, why in the world wouldn't HP just post it on the appropriate page for those with this issue?! this is the dumbest thing in the world. i just get this brand new printer and i can't even use it!? (whew, sorry, had to vent. I'm cool now)

is there really nothing more that can be done? cause if not say so, then i can go back to the store and buy a canon ASAP while the return policy is still good. 

HP Recommended

OK, you are close.

The easiest way to do it is to connect your Mac to your wireless network, then get the latest software for your printer from the "Support & Drivers" link at the top of this page.  Make sure there is no USB cable connected to your printer.  Run the software with your Mac still connected to your network, choose a "wireless" or "network" installation type.  When the software asks, temporarily plug in the USB cable to the  printer so your Mac can communicate the network settings to the printer.  Unplug the cable when it asks and you should be good to go.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

yup,

figured it out. i just needed to read the post that said "they have released the proper drivers now" a little closer. on closer examination i found this to be true and it worked from there 🙂 sorry for the panic. 

HP Recommended

I'm afraid I followed all the steps several times, but all in vain. It gives me internal error messages. Is there another option? Thanks

HP Recommended

What error messages?  What router are you using?

Download and install this before you try the HP software again: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907

I am employed by HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.