Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am trying to connect an HP Officejet Pro 8600 printer to our university wireless network.  I run the wireless network connection wizard and get the error message "unsupported authentication or encryption type".  The network uses wpa2-enterprise for the security type.  It uses AES for the encryption type.  Does this make/model printer allow for these?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Downloading the manual and reading it on page 226 it supports WPA2 AES.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&document=&product=4323659

Perform a reset to Factory Defaults.  Power cycle printer and try to connect again.  If not power cycle the router and try again.

HP Recommended

I power cycled both the router and printer and still cannot configure the printer (officejet pro 8600) with WPA2

HP Recommended

Hey derejed,

I see you are trying to connect your Officejet Pro 8600 to a router with WPA2 encryption type set.  Do you have it set to just WPA2 or mixed mode WPA/WPA2?  This can affect the printer's ability to connect.

As well, what error are you getting when you run the Wireless Setup Wizard of the printer?

Are you performing the setup by inputting the password or attempting the WPS (WiFi protected setup) method?

How far is your printer from the router?

What brand/model of router do you have?

Who is your ISP?  Is the router a high quality personally owned router or one provided by your ISP?

Have you tried opening the Setup Menu of the printer, selecting the Wireless/Networking submenu, and scrolling all the way to the bottom to select "Restore Network Defaults"?

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Jason

I don't see WPA2 option on the printer network setup. 

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hey,

WPA2 is a type of encryption and not a method of connecting.  Are you running the Wireless Setup Wizard on the front panel of the printer?

Do you get any errors when attempting to connect?

I asked a few other questions in the above post.  Can you please provide additional details to be able to provide the best assistance possible?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Printing-Questions/Want-Good-Answers-Ask-Good-Questions/td-p/2094

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Jason,

The wireless router is personal and is Meraki.  It does not have WPA option only WPA2 option.

My ISP is Time Warner

The distance between the router and printer is 12 ft.

The printer works well when linked to another router which uses WPA encryption. 

My question is how do you enable WPA2 encryption on the printer?

Thank you

Dereje

HP Recommended

Hey,

Have you tried restoring the network defaults found in the Networking menu of the printer?

As well, you can turn the wireless off in the Networking menu, then on to have the printer broadcast a temporary wireless connection.  Connect to this network with the wireless computer or wireless device to access the internal Embedded Web Server (EWS) of the printer.  Once connected to this network open a Browser on the wireless device and type 192.168.223.1 (IP of the temporary wireless broadcast of the printer) in the address bar.  This will bring up the EWS of the printer in the browser service.  Select the Networking tab at the top of the EWS to check what wireless settings are currently enabled for your printer.  In this menu you can change the expected encryption type to WPA2 for your 8600 if necessary.

For information about what I described please see the thread found here.

Jason

I am not an HP employee.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.