Question
my hp photosmart printer keeps going offline why is this
Replies (60)

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 21 of 61 (12,865 Views)

Re: my hp photosmart printer keeps going offline why is this

OK, update the firmware.  You need to download it from their site, then enter the router and click on update firmware, point to the downloaded file and let 'er rip.

I am employed by HP
Student
nancy_marie_00
Message 22 of 61 (12,784 Views)

I recently purchased the hp photosmart plus e-all-in-one B210 series printer....I am getting a notice on the printer itself that it cannot connect to the server....as well as that the computer screen when i open up the printer says that it is error offline!  Please help...it was working for about two weeks then all of a sudden this!  I have a HPw1907 computer and a belkin router.  Thanks!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 23 of 61 (12,778 Views)

Let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you do not know the range, change the last set of numbers (those after the last '.') to 250
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP
Student
kdonnelly
Message 24 of 61 (12,737 Views)

I have a photosmart plus 209-a-m printer. I am using windows 7-64 bit operating system. I am not sure what kind of router I have. My printer keeps on going offline. When I go to print a document,  it will say pending in the status and that the printer is offline. It goes online by itself at random times and then will print the document at that time. What can I try to fix this?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 25 of 61 (12,727 Views)

See my post above - set a static IP address.

I am employed by HP
Student
rickc54
Message 26 of 61 (8,659 Views)

Have Mac 10.8 and Netcomm wireless router and HP Photosmart C410a. All connect via LAN

Mac shows printer offline, I turn printer off and back on and the printer is ok.

I print a document works fine I then try to print another document and the printer is offline again.

When I use my Windows 7 pc next to the printer and Mac it doesnt have a problem prints 1st go every go.

Also prints ok from Ipad, Iphone and Android.

The MAC just had the 10.8 upgrade done.

I configured printer with static IP and that is used by all systems and all work including Ipads and Android and iphones.

I installed the latest drivers for MAC 10.8 from HP when installing the software did not detect printer until I restated the printer and then software installed ok.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 27 of 61 (8,649 Views)

Reset the printing system:

- Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan
- Right (or control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add a printer. Select the Defualt tab on the top of the window. Look for the printer, select it and then next to the "Use" pulldown, select the printer model (not AirPrint). Wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
Laurennn
Message 28 of 61 (8,473 Views)

I have a Mac running 10.6.8 and a 5520 Printer. I am able to print one document, I go to print another and it says 'printer offline.' I am only able to reprint once I turn it on and off. There's three Windows 7 computers, three iPads and three iPhones that print without a problem.
I'm not too keen to reset my Printer preferences as it's my school computer and has all the setting for there on it. Is there another way to keep it online?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 29 of 61 (8,459 Views)

What router?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
Laurennn
Message 30 of 61 (8,443 Views)

It's a Belkin, I'm not sure what model.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation