Question

Top Student
natvetexan
Message 1 of 12 (1,959 Views)

new router, printer does not work

A new wireless internet router and modem was installed yesterday. My printer does not respond from my MacBook Pro or my iPad. I followed all troubleshooting advice on HP and Apple websites. No luck. Apple support today suggested that my printer may need additional informatin which I cannot change. The Network ConfigurationCheck was perfect except for address changes and one other which may be significant. URLs for embedded web servers changed from http:/HP618550 to http://dhcppc2.

The Wireless Network Test Results were perfect.  My computers acess the internet also without problems. Apple had me put a USB cable between the MacBook and the printer.  Then the printer worked just fine. He thought (not being a printer guru) that perhaps the communication between the router and printer was the problem. Hence I come to this site.  I have followed all HP site troubleshooting advice and met each criteria.  HELP?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 12 (1,943 Views)

Re: new router, printer does not work

What version of OS X?  What router?

Enter the printer's IP address into the address bar of a web browser.  Can you see the printer's settings?

Reset the printing system:

- Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan
- Right (or control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add a printer. Select the Defualt tab on the top of the window. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
natvetexan
Message 3 of 12 (1,926 Views)

Print Doc thanks for the directions. Unfortunately it was not successful. The printer icon went to the dock and showed 2 items, then a yellos dot appeared and said printer is off line I' m still puzzled. When clicking on the printer icon, a window instructing me to select the printers webpages. No help there.
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 12 (1,923 Views)

Again, what version of OS X?  What router?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
natvetexan
Message 5 of 12 (1,921 Views)

Router installed by Century Link last week . I have a MacBook Pro OS 10.7 the Lion and an iPad 2 iOS5.0.
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 12 (1,919 Views)

OK, as I understand the printer is connected to the wireless network (as confirmed from a Wireless Network Test printed from the front of the printer), right?

ISP supplied routers are very problematic.  Can you get to its settings (type 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 into the address bar of a web browser)?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
natvetexan
Message 7 of 12 (1,913 Views)

Print Doc Yes to first question.  When I enter the router's IP adress 192.168.0.1 the webpage for the quest modem appears.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 12 (1,908 Views)

OK, let's set the router to channel 11.  What kind of encryption is it using (WEP, WPA, etc)?  If WEP, what version - Open or Shared.

Print a Wireless Network Test from the Wireless menu of the printer.  Does it indicate an IP address of 192.168.0.X?

Are you using any kind of anti-virus software on your Mac?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
natvetexan
Message 9 of 12 (1,891 Views)

PrintDoc   thanks for your help.  The encryption used is WPA-PSK.  The IPS is 192.168.0.4 for printer and .0.1 for primary DNS server. As far as i can tell there is no anti-virus on either of my Apple devices. 

As for setting the router to channel 11, when opening the router via its address i noted it is a ZyXELPK5000Z. i had five settings to choose from. 1. modem status,  2.quick set up,  3.wireless set up,  4.utilities,   5.advanced set up.  When checking on each of these, there were no surprises, mosly info loated elsewhere.  There was no opportunity to chane the channel setting in ay window i looked at.

I printed a wireless network test from the printer on 4/19 when i was tryingto self troubleshoot. I'm not certain what info you want, but all systems passed.   continue to be amazed at how difficult this has been.i

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 12 (1,888 Views)

After reading this through again, I am wondering if the router is unable to support Bonjour properly.   Bonjour is the discovery service through which your Mac finds your printer on your network.

Although not for your identical router, this article may be helpful: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02986958&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en#N135

If we can't get this resolved a for-sure, kill-it-dead solution is to get a normal, standard router (Linksys or Netgear) and put it in line with your ZyXel, disabling its wireless.  I can help if you want to go this way.  A good standard router would be $40 and you would be done.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation