Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The light keeps flashing when the cover is down over the scanner. Is this normal? The sales rep at the store said it shouldn't. It looked like it wasn't in the store so I exchanged it for another, but when I exchanged my printer, the new one does the same.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No problem. The HP printers are pretty good with making you aware of any issue with the unit. If you were having an issue with the printer, you would know from an error message on the front panel. 

Remember if you find any of my post helpful or want to say thanks make sure to click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.
I really appreciate it!

Let me know if anything appears on the front panel later on. 

THX

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello, 

I see that you're having an issue with the scanner on the printer. You're probably seeing the flash of the scanner going back and forth. 

Are you having any issues scanning at all? 

Are any of the scans coming out blank? 

**If you find this helpful or want to say thanks make sure to click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.

I really appreciate it!**

THX

HP Recommended

Both printers scanned good. Nothing is moving under the cover, just the the light flashing. It's not the white light the scanner uses while scanning, but a greenish coloured light.

HP Recommended

OK, if you're not receiving any type of scanner failure message or anything related to the scanning feature I wouldn't worry too much about it. Typically if you have any type of error light flashing meaning there is something wrong the printer will tell you on the front panel. Now, in this case this look like a normal procedure.

Does this happen when you only scan? 

And this light is coming from underneath the cover? 

**If you find this helpful or want to say thanks make sure to click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.
I really appreciate it!**

THX

HP Recommended

During startup the printer goes through what looks like a regular startup routine IE: things moving, scanner light comes on, goes off. Then the green light will start flashing. It's like a sensor maybe? Goes off when the cover is lifted, then continues when closed. Didn't look like the store model did it,(may have been too brite in the store to notice) and the sales person at office depot said it shouldn't flash all the time. Which is why I tried a second one. The only other thing I thought about was ; yes, maybe this is normal or maybe during the install process something got changed in the printer?

If you think this is a normal process I will accept that. It just seemed to me that if this continues the light or sensor would wear out quicker. Thanks

HP Recommended

No problem. The HP printers are pretty good with making you aware of any issue with the unit. If you were having an issue with the printer, you would know from an error message on the front panel. 

Remember if you find any of my post helpful or want to say thanks make sure to click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.
I really appreciate it!

Let me know if anything appears on the front panel later on. 

THX

HP Recommended

Why is this thread marked as solved?  Is the consensus that this is normal?  A continuous blinking light that turns off when you open the lid is normal?

HP Recommended

This issue is mentioned at the end of another thread and HP Expert Shane R says that it is not normal...please advise.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-and-Copying/Why-does-my-hp-6600-6700-cancel-my-scan/m-p...

HP Recommended

I know the thread is "solved" but I have additional info. I too am experiencing the flashing scanner light while the lid is closed. I believe it is doing that for paper sensing purposes. A store model does the same thing. The frequency of the flashing slows when the printer "sleeps". I noticed one poster mentioned the light flashed even when the lid was opened. Mine does the same thing and thought maybe something was wrong but that is not the case. My printer is under a table and is shielded from normal light levels. When I removed it to investigate the issue the light turned off. I then got a flashlight, dimmed the room lights and did a test. Lid closed = light flashing, lid open, dark room = light flashing. I then shined the flashlight where the scanner light is at and the flashing stopped!!

There must be a optical sensor in or near the scanner head that is supposed to sense when the lid is open/closed. obviously if the room lighting is too low or the printer is in a shielded area the sensor doesn't realize the lid is open and the flashing light doesn't turn off.

While I don't like HP's design of flashing the scanner light for whatever reason, I'm guessing it's supposed to do that. It should turn off when the lid is opened and there is enough "natural" light for the optical sensor to trigger.

greg

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.