officejet 8600 keeps going offline after printing (12115 Views)
Tutor
topprops
Message 1 of 9 (12,115 Views)

officejet 8600 keeps going offline after printing

I have officejet 8600 and belkin wireless network.  I have an IMAC and powerbook both running snow leopard.  the belkin is new.  When I changed to the Belkin I began having problems with the 8600 going offline after printing or just sitting idle for too long.

Professor
RobertoR
Message 2 of 9 (12,072 Views)

Re: officejet 8600 keeps going offline after printing

Hi  Topprops; 

Sorry that you are having this issue.

This tool should help; 

HP Print Diagnostic Utility

Also look at this article 

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02221706&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4323648&tmp...

Hope it helps; 

RobertoR

You can say THANKS by clicking the KUDOS STAR. If my suggestion resolves your issue Mark as a "SOLUTION" this way others can benefit Thanks in Advance! :smileyvery-happy:
Student
hobbzilla
Message 3 of 9 (11,697 Views)

This is a common issue with DHCP and certain routers. Until HP can include a "keep alive" setting, when the printer goes on "Energy Save Mode", in order to save power, it disconnects from the network and the DHCP server on your router times out the lease as it basically sees it as having been powered off.

Without doing some network diagnostics, I imagine HP engineers did not put the DHCP request to obtain the lease again, upon coming out of Energy Save Mode -- of which it likely wouldn't if you printed to the network connected printer as the OS thinks the printer is offline -- the only recourse would be to press the power button physically on the printer.

The "workaround" is to set a reserved DHCP lease for your printer on your router AND manually set a static IP address in the printer.  Other potential work arounds would be to see if there are any settings on your router OR have HP address the issue with a firmware update.

Professor
RobertoR
Message 4 of 9 (11,674 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Hobbzilla you are right,

For those who may need help with issue follow this steps and this should help;

Set an static ip address for my printer and change the DNS servers provided by your ISP to Google DNS servers

How to set an static IP address

Follow these steps to assign an unchanging static IP address to the product through the Embedded Web Server (EWS).
Open a new Web browser window.
Type the IP address located on the Network Configuration Page in the address bar of the Web browser, using http:// to begin the address e.g. http://192.168.0.1 Then press Enter . The EWS home page for the product opens.
In the EWS screen, click the Network tab.
Click Wired (802.3) , and then click the IPv4 Configuration or the IPv6 Configuration tab.
Click Manual IP . The Manual IP Address box opens.
In the Manual IP Address box, type an IP address with the same values in the first three sets of digits (subnet values) as the product's IP address (listed on the Network Configuration Page), and a higher value (between 1 and 254) in the fourth set of digits. This creates a static IP address on the same subnet, but outside the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) range.
For example, if the product's original IP address is 192.168.0.1 , assign the static IP address to 192.168.0.200 .

NOTE:
Do not type the static IP address use as the example. Enter a static IP address based on the IP address for your product. This can be found on network configuration page.
Enter the Subnet Mask and the Default Gateway settings as they appear on the Network Configuration Page.

While you are here in the IPV4 you can set the DNS servers of google instead of the DNS servers provided by your ISP just change the option of automaticly select DNS server and use this;  DNS servers of google are 8.8.8.8 and alternative DNS 8.8.4.4

Click OK to save the new settings, and then click Exit or close the browser to exit the EWS.

Make sure that the operating system is updated, that the routers firware is the lastest.

Hope this is helpful to all of you having this or a similar issues.

Regards;
RobertoR

You can say THANKS by clicking the KUDOS STAR. If my suggestion resolves your issue Mark as a "SOLUTION" this way others can benefit Thanks in Advance! :smileyvery-happy:
Student
museumguy
Message 5 of 9 (11,292 Views)

I have tried the steps outlined and the printer still goes offline.

• Turning the printer on/off
  • Reinstalling the printer
  • Restarting the computer

The only solution seems to be to use the USB cable.  I am using a MacBook Pro, running 10.6.8.

Tutor
topprops
Message 6 of 9 (11,289 Views)

I turned off the scan to computer, and the show ink level always, and the problem went away.  This is a problem for windows xp only.  unfortunately no one in tech support seems to know this.

I installed this printer on a couple of macs and the scan to computer was not an option so there was no disabling it.  I will have to check to see if the printer goes off line for them. 

but the issue of the xp computer not accessing the internet over night has been solved.  but not a very good solution.  you would think that hp engineers could figure out a better solution.  Panasonic network copiers scan straight to any computer on the network with out any issues.  best software I have ever run across.

Student
Stoneyguy
Message 7 of 9 (8,953 Views)

You may need to take it one step further and add a port to your printer.

To do so, go into the control panel/hardware and sound/devices and printers. Find the Hp Officejet Pro icon and right click on it. Select printer properties and then click on the ports tab. Click on add port and select Standard TCP/IP Port. Next click on New Port and it will open a wizard to help configure it. In the first field enter the static IP port given to the printer. Once the wizard is finished, be sure the new IP Port is selected and click apply then ok. 

This should "wake" your printer up. If after restarting your PC you find that the printer is offline again, go back to the ports tab and make sure the IP port is selected. If it continues to reset itself to the original port, you may want to delete the original port though I would do so only if it reset constantly.

Student
jvbiochem
Message 8 of 9 (6,478 Views)

My printer is connected to my computer via USB cable with the network function completely disabled and my printer still turns off.  The only way I can reestablish connection is by turning it off and back on.  It happens sometimes, but not others.  If there's something I'm missing and could do to avoid this, I would really appreciate it.  

It's otherwise a good printer with good quality and paperhandling.  

Student
Trying2work
Message 9 of 9 (222 Views)

how do I get this beast back on line?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation