Question

Honor Student
ldhunter
Message 1 of 15 (6,018 Views)

officejet 8600 won't connect to wireless router

Can anyone share some suggestions please?  When following the HP wizard to connect my laptop to my Officejet Pro 8600 wireless printer it prompts me to input my wireless password. I do this, but it says it is invalid...Which is definitely not the case because I have linked my laptop, ipods, smartphones, etc to this router. Any help would be appreciated as I'm completely frustrated. Thank you!

Honor Student
ldhunter
Message 2 of 15 (6,001 Views)

Re: officejet 8600 won't connect to wireless router

Not sure if it matters or not but it is a HP Officejet 8600 "Plus"
Honor Student
ldhunter
Message 3 of 15 (5,989 Views)

My operating system is Windows Vista, and my router is a D-Link. After an hour and a half on the phone last night with customer service no resolution in site, I'm about to return this product.
Honor Student
pbowles93
Message 4 of 15 (5,963 Views)

Do you have your router set to accept only certain mac addresses?

Does your router use WEP or WPA for  security?

Did your printer see your pouter SSID?  If not you may have to broadcast your SSID which is a router setting.

Honor Student
ldhunter
Message 5 of 15 (5,936 Views)

4 hours + with HP tech support and still no luck...An hour with D-Link and they said my router is set to accept all mac address with my WPA2. Router is set for Auto so it will take WPA/WPA2. The printer also recognized my SSID, but says the password is invalid. 

I'm thinking it's time to try a different printer/brand?

Honor Student
pbowles93
Message 6 of 15 (5,933 Views)

I use WPA2 for my security.  Are you manually typing in your password on the printer touch screen?  

I had an issue where it was not putting in the correct character if I was just a little off on the touch screen, it wouldput in the charater to the left of it.  It took me 3 tries and then I was good to go, I just had to verify on the screen what I typed.  I love the printer so far.

Honor Student
H_black222
Message 7 of 15 (5,408 Views)

Hi,

Try these steps before trying a different brand or another printer. Try to make sure you input the right wpa2 passphrase, it is case sensitive. If it is still not working, let us try and check if the wired capability is working. You can use and connect an ethernet cable from the printer to the router, try and see if it generates a valid ip address. If we are still getting a negative results, try to perform a factory reset on the printer. You can find it here, How to Reset the HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Premium All-in-One Printer. After the reset, try to do the same steps...input correct wpa2 or try ethernet connection..:smileyhappy: goodluck.

Student
tylerchuck
Message 8 of 15 (4,682 Views)

Solved - Hp Officejet 8600 All-In-One - Invalid Password (when you know it's correct)

Instead of selecting the SSID (You network name) from the list that the printer has provided in the so-called connection wizard, arrow down and enter the network name from the key pad. Make sure it's exactly the same (Upper/Lower Case).

Once you do this the printer will indeed find the router on your network. This solution is for MS XP Pro, sp3.

Happy computing!

BTW - I also hooked up the USB cable and all works well, even the wife's Anroid pad (10.0) to Google Cloud, and my Samsung Galaxy Note II (again thru Google cloud).

PS No offense Hp but I would have reccommeded Hp ePrint if you hadn't dropped the ball on this one.

Student
alanudi
Message 9 of 15 (4,247 Views)

Wow HP really messed this one up.  I'm an IT Professional, and I've seen quite my share of silliness, but this takes the cake.

I literally re-typed the password about 15 times on that incredibly annoying and pathetic "touch-screen" only to have it tell me the password was invalid over and over.  HP has officially lost my recommendation for the year :smileysad:

Solution:  Manually enter the SSID.

Honor Student
R_G_R
Message 10 of 15 (4,222 Views)

So, if I manually enter the SSID, it will accept WPA2 as well? Or does that just fix the password problem? Thanks...
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation