Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Hi, After changing the network hosting my Laserjet P1102W, I have irreparably lost wireless connectivity.  The printer will not reset the "IP Configuered By" value from Manual to DHCP, but has reset the IP address to 0.0.0.0, an address that cannot exist in any network.  The embedded web page does not have a means to set that value, nor has reflashing the device to the latest firmware.  The "Print and Scan Doctor" has not helped either.

The machine rendered itself worthless simply by changing IP addresses and my following standard instructions to reset the network.  

How can one reset the "IP Configured By" value?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello Tedious_Agony,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

Sorry to hear about the issues with the LaserJet P1102w resetting its I.P address.

I found in the User Guide how to restore the network defaults;

1. Turn the product off.
2. Press and hold the wireless button and the cancel  button, and then turn the product on.
3. Hold the buttons until all the lights blink in unison, and then release the buttons.

To set up the printer back on the network this guide should help: Installing the Printer on a Wireless Network.

I hope this helped.

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Hi Jerends, Actually, doing that (what you've suggested) is what wipes the extant IP and sets it to 0.0.0.0, but _does_ _not_ set the "IP Configured By" to DHCP. So following the manual, as I did and as you suggested, is what breaks the printer. I cannot find any tool that allows one to assign the static IP on the wireless interface via the USB interface, nor can I find any tool that sets the "IP Configured By" state to DHCP via USB.
HP Recommended

When setting the printer back to defaults, yes it will clear the I.P but also "should" restore it DCHP. The link I provided would walk you though the steps using the software to configure it the network via USB.

If you would like to configure the printer for a manual I.P, you would need to use the software to get the printer on the network, print a wireless test report on the printer to obtain its I.P. With the I.P address you would be able to type it in the address bar of Internet Explorer (for example) and under the tab network or wireless you would be able to manually enter the I.P address.

Try again to restore the defaults on the printer, use the software steps below to convert a USB to wireless connection.

Optional : If you previously installed the software for a USB connection and now want to change to a wireless network connection, follow these instructions to remove the USB installation before you continue.
  1. Click the Windows icon ( ), click All Programs , click HP , click the folder for your printer, and then click the icon for your printer. The printer software opens.
  2. Click Wireless Configuration . The Wireless Configuration Utility opens.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to set up the printer on your wireless network. Once the printer has been set up on the wireless network

Regards,

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Hi Jerends, Point by point, with repetition: 1) You said "When setting the printer back to defaults, yes it will clear the I.P but also "should" restore it DCHP." - viz this message's Subject: It Does Not Restore DHCP (I tried it again, per your instructions, same failure as the previous 20+ passes), 2) You said "The link I provided would walk you though the steps using the software to configure it the network via USB. ", The li nk (http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02847467 you provided does not do what you think- It sets the wireless authentication (the wpa2 SSID & password), it Does Not Set The Network address. That is the function of the DHCP dialog that _never_ happens (due to the buggy reset logic that wipes the IP but does not set DHCP). After a reset, I can use the wireless setup utility to assign the SSID & wpa2 passphrase. The printer is authenticated, I can see that from the wireless router logs, the "self test/ device configuration" page, and from the HP Wireless Setup Dialog, 3) You said "If you would like to configure the printer for a manual I.P, you would need to use the software to get the printer on the network, print a wireless test report on the printer to obtain its I.P." Please detail the software that will do this , as far as I can tell, that software does not exist. A name and a link would be good. Be confident that I have tried the downloads for Full Installation Setup (listed as the same as the original CD, but updated), and the HP Doctor-they will not reset the " IP Configured By = " value. The IP assigned after a reset is 0.0.0.0, please read this to see why that about the dumbest setting HP's firmware authors could have chosen for a default address:" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0.0.0.0" The point being that I cannot just type that address into my browser to acquire the printer, it is unroutable. NB: the "Printer's Web Page" available from the Wireless Setup also cannot set the IP, I mention this to spare you suggesting it to me, 4) While I appreciate you reading the manual to me, I have read it myself often. If you can, please punt this buggy firmware problem to HP staff who can address the solution, or tell me that HP is OK with selling tools and printers that will break themselves beyond repair when one follows the manual, and I will abandon the printer and my 44 year relationship with HP. Thanks.
HP Recommended

It has been nearly a month, and HP has chosen to be derelict.  The firmware flaw that kills the wireless features of this printer came from the factory, not from usage or wear.  Manifestly, those contemplating buying an HP product should accept that they too may get flawed goods and the cold shoulder from HP.  

HP Recommended

Fully agree with all frustrations expressed here. A new low for HP in both product and support. (And I worked for HP for 12 years many, many moons ago...)

However, I did find that I could dig out of this (HP-made) hole. Whether both steps are truly necessary I'm not sure, but here is what I did.

1. I took the printer to a (domestic) router that supported WPS, and did the linking thing. This worked. I could browse to the printer and check that the 'IP Configured By' setting had been switched to DHCP (as one would expect). 

2. On returning to my work network, the printer would not connect. I assume this was likely because WiFi credentials were set for the other network. So I connected via USB and then ran the Wireless Configuration utility. This enabled me to enter the WPA PSK and get it onto our network. DHCP (and pre-existing reservation) did the rest.

What an appalling choice of network reset configuration, though. I couldn't agree more with you, Tedious_Agony...

HP Recommended

I am having the same problems now since I updated to 20130703

Any ideas to fix this?

HP Recommended
Chalk me up to the IP 0.0.0.0 problem. I've been running through the wireless steps and fixes faithfully now for over a week. In fact I'm heading over to my sisters now to waste another afternoon likely!
The printer was originally setup with a static IP at my house and I gave it to my sister as a gift, she has had a nervous break down trying to get this thing working.
I attempted the hold wireless and other button while plugging in and pressing power and although it finally resets the printer it doesn't choose dhcp.
I've walked through the setup steps, downloaded the latest software etc. more times than Carter's got pills...
I did try the WPS thing but I get the error that the connection is refused... Going to try again today... Or should I go buy another one... Talk later!
HP Recommended

Hi!

If it helps anyone who stumbled upon this problem but none of the other solutions worked:

I finally managed to make the IP dynamic again by

1. downloading the official driver on a laptop which was never connected to this printer

2. Plugging in the USB and selecting the USB Install option

3. After watchin the vidio about unpacking the printer, choosing the option to set up wireless printing for the first time (3rd option out of 3)

4. Next, next, next until the end

5. Restarted computer when I was prompted to do so

Cheers,

C

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.