Question

Honor Student
sallydaw
Message 1 of 6 (3,166 Views)
Accepted Solution

photosmart 309a

I'm having trouble printing wirelessly through Mac Airport Extreme with my MacBook Pro.  Printer recognizes airport address, but won't accept WEP key.  I've done all the troubleshooting steps.  Is there a trick to this?  Thanks.
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 6 (3,164 Views)

Re: photosmart 309a

Are you sure you are using WEP and not WPA?  They are very different (WEP is basically useless) and are both cap-sensitive.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
sallydaw
Message 3 of 6 (3,161 Views)

It's the code I use for visitors to connect their computers, so I think it's the correct WEP key.  It's printed on the bottom of the Airport Extreme.

Now I've gotten a "Wireless Network Test Report" that says:  "Cannot find access point.  Check that access point is powered on. (Yes)  Check that printer network name (SSID) matches access point network name (SSID) exactly.  The printer is finding the wireless network name, and I've accepted it and also input it during the Setup process.

Thanks for your help. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 6 (3,149 Views)

I would highly recommend changing from WEP to WPA password (use Airport Utility, select the Extreme and use Manual Setup).  You will be able to choose your own password (called encryption key).  Choose a mix of letters and numbers, cap and lower case about a dozen characters total. 

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
sallydaw
Message 5 of 6 (3,147 Views)

Why won't my 10 character WEP key work?

If I change to a WPA password for the printer/airport, won't that change the settings for our computers to access the airport?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 6 (3,136 Views)

Yes, it will require you to type in a new password on your other wireless devices - once  You want to do this.  WEP is not secure.

Read this.  Scroll to the bottom for Dishonorable Mention. 

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation