Question

Honor Student
DanielBenway
Message 1 of 8 (4,043 Views)

printer cp1525nw shows offline

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on my laptop. My HP cp1525nw was working fine for a week on my wireless network after I set up the printer using the latest installation and firmware from the HP website. However, after rebooting my laptop, the printer never again showed up in Windows as being online. I uninstalled and re-installed the printer, and the same thing happened. I am able to http://192.168.1.3 into the printer and view and even change its settings, but it still shows up as offline in Windows and I can't print to it. Turning my Windows firewall on or off makes no difference.

I'm using Windows, not MAC, but this post is from MAC users with the same problem:
http://www.mactalk.com.au/24/99789-macbook-air-2011-hp-laserjet-cp1525nw-printing-issue.html

Honor Student
DanielBenway
Message 2 of 8 (4,002 Views)

Re: printer cp1525nw shows offline

=========================================
---Solution:

It's hard to say for sure what fixed this, but here's a crack at it...

1. From the Printer Properties, I removed all ports that the printer install.exe had created (they were all labeled HP something or other).
2. From Control Panel Devices and Printers I removed the printer (so I didn't use the HP uninstall.exe, so the HP software and drivers remained).
3. From Control Panel Devices and Printers I added the printer and cited its existing static IPv4 address during the process.

It was a pain to have to do this, and the HP ToolboxFX now shows a black 'X' over the icon despite the fact that it is still fully operational.

For anyone else experiencing this problem, I think the solution lies in using static IPs, and perhaps manually configuring the ports found in Printer Properties.
=========================================

Teacher
mancy_techno
Message 3 of 8 (3,967 Views)

Go to system settings and select the ‘Printer’ option.

Right-click on the printer and enable the ‘Use Printer Online’ function.

Cancel all the printing jobs till that moment and redo the process.

Sometimes the ‘Printer Offline’ message occurs due to a ‘Job Stuck’ issue.

Check all network connections and functions.

Be sure the network interfaces work properly.

Turn the printer off and on to see whether the device is working properly.

Set peace of mind as your highest goal,and organize your life around it.
Honor Student
CooMan51
Message 4 of 8 (3,495 Views)

Daniel,

I'm having this same problem. My printer was working fine before, and we just moved.  After I had the internet installed in the new house. I set up the printer.  It does the same thing everytime. After a reboot, it shows offline. I have tried everything that you had said and still doesn't work. The printer connects to the network fine. Even my old desktop(Win XP) from 2001-2002 printed off of the network the first time I tried. I didn't mess with the settings or anything.  HP eprint even works. But this computer, Sony VAIO (Win 7) isn't connecting.  I was just curious if you had found anything else that worked for you.

Thank you,

Cory

Student
LouBobK
Message 5 of 8 (3,159 Views)

HP has a tool called the "HP Print Diagnostic Utility" that addresses the problem.  Look for the utility on the HP support web site, download it, and run it. It advertises that it addresses the "Printer offline" issue. I ran it on a Dell laptop connecting to an HP CP1525NW color printer.

Student
Nazarus
Message 6 of 8 (2,763 Views)

Make sure that the print offline button is unchecked when you are using it.  I'm almost 100% certain this is your problem.

Teacher
Eeyore
Message 7 of 8 (2,737 Views)

Black "X" on HP toolbox appears if alerts turned off.

Student
hrdg
Message 8 of 8 (694 Views)

The network printer driver in your Windows system is configured for the IP address the printer is found at during installation. When the printer gets a new IP address through DHCP, the Windows driver settings will not automatically adjust. Thus, the printer shows as offline in Windows. I haven't found out yet if it is possible to change the IP address in the driver after installation.

Of course, reinstalling the printer drivers will setup the new installation for the new IP address.

It may be best to setup the printer with a fixed IP address through its web interface.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation