Question

Honor Student
harryosell
Message 1 of 10 (3,960 Views)
Accepted Solution

printer not responding

when print is selected a message appears ....printer not responding....this is from a mac 10.4 G4....to a c4795 photosmart printer Wirelessly ....when connected with a usb it prints fine but I want wireless

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 10 (3,950 Views)

Re: printer not responding

Tell me about your network - router brand/model, encryption type (WEP, WPA, etc) and ISP type (DSL, Cable, etc).

Print a Network Config Test from the front of the printer (Setup [Scan] > Network).  Type the printer's IP address into a browser to see if you have communication with the printer.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
harryosell
Message 3 of 10 (3,944 Views)

it is a mac the network pref are using dhcp..ip address 10.0.1.4  ...subnet mask 255.255.255.0...wpa2 personal...the previous was all on the mac mini ....the hp network conf printout says...network status ready ...wireless...   url  http//HP90F6DF  http://10.0.1.8 ( the computer says 10.0.1.4)  the network name ssid matches with the computer ...WPA -PSK  authentication type primary dns  dhcp..10.0.1.1...secondary dns server 0.0.0.0    ....the hp test report says no problems found 

Honor Student
harryosell
Message 4 of 10 (3,943 Views)

i put the printers ip address and the computer wirelessly did find it

Honor Student
harryosell
Message 5 of 10 (3,942 Views)

I have clearwire to connect with airport ....now my wife has a pc  toshiba which does wireless print on the hp printer which I bought today....(the printer)

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 10 (3,914 Views)

Let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP.  Enter the current IP address.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Leave the gateway and DNS blank. Click 'Apply'

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

Finally, let's reset the printing system on your Mac:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click the print queue area and select Reset Printing System.
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP
Student
lil02ban13
Message 7 of 10 (3,461 Views)

My printer is not responding from my lap top.  My router is Westell and my service is DSL.  Can you help?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 10 (3,457 Views)

What printer?  What operating system on your laptop?  Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer - is it connected to your network?

I am employed by HP
Student
montessa
Message 9 of 10 (643 Views)

i am following instructions to get my printer back online but from the hp page i cannot "apply" the ip address and manual code without the manual default gateway, which your instructions say to leave blank. so i am frustrated and stuck.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 10 (617 Views)

New instructions:

Let's set a static IP address and external DNS for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you do not know the range, change the last set of numbers (those after the last '.') to 250
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS. This is Google DNS. You can choose another external DNS if you wish.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation