Question

Student
MDMansfield
Message 1 of 5 (4,199 Views)

printer not showing up on my network map

I am running windows 7 on my HP Pavillion computer and I have a usb wireless adapter installed on it. When I go to my network map my HP 5520 printer does not show up but I can print from my computer. Why isn't the printer showing up on the network map?

Grad Student
TreeFrog
Message 2 of 5 (4,189 Views)

Re: printer not showing up on my network map

What do you mean by network map?

Is it software?

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Sometimes it takes several posts back and forth to get to a solution - please be patient.
I am employed by HP
Intern
quiller
Message 3 of 5 (4,086 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have the exact same situation.  I have a HP 9260f running Windows 7 64 bit.  I have a Brother HL 2270DL wirelessly connected and I can print to it.  I connected a new HP laptop G7 running Windows 8 64 bit to my network successfully.  Then I tried to add my brother printer.  The laptop apparently "sees" it but when I select it to install the laptop says that there is no driver.  I checked around on the internet and was led to believe that the printer should show up under the Network Map available by right clicking on the wireless icon in the sys tray.  There is no printer there.  So, I'm thinking I did something wrong initially when loading up the printer on my windows 7 and that is why my windows 8 is not accepting the printer because it thinks it is not on the home network.  BTW, I absolutely HATE windows 8.  Too many mouse swipes and too busy a screen.  Too bad HP is selling leftover W7 laptops at a premium.

Update, same day.  I have no idea what I did.  My printer now shows up in printers and devices.  I tried adding it different ways.  I guess it takes time.  Only problem now is that I can't set the printer as my default printer.  I still hate W8.  Too many clicks, too many times trying to get the "5 lucky Charms" to stay on the right side, too much typing in the search charm, and I have to have at least an idea of the name of the thing that I want.  Give me the Start Button.

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 4 of 5 (4,038 Views)

On the first issue here, if the priner is set up with a USB cord it would not show up on the network if it were not shared. That is a feature you would enable through the Printer Properties. 

And on the second issue in this thread, this does not appar to be the place to address this issue. If it is with the Brother device then their technical support staff should be able to assist you, as I am not familiar with how their software interacts in a network environment. 

I hope you are having a wonderful week, and I hope that the weather where you are located is as beautiful there as it is here!

-Spencer

Grad Student
TreeFrog
Message 5 of 5 (4,028 Views)

Windows 8 does its network discovery in the background and on its own schedule.  I suspect it took some time to find your printer so it didn't show up on the network map.  I'm glad it did show up. 

It also could have been that the printers wireless signal is weak. 

Here is an answer to how to set the default printer from the Microsoft web site.  Hope it works

Set a default printer
  1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.)

2. Enter Devices and Printers in the search box, tap or click Settings, and then choose Devices and Printers.

3. Press and hold or right-click the printer you want to use, and then choose Set as default printer.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/set-change-your-default-printer

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Sometimes it takes several posts back and forth to get to a solution - please be patient.
I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation