Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

How do I get my printer to connect to the correct IP address of my local net?

WPS works either way I try it, but when the printer goes to connect, according to the printer report, the printer trys to connect 169.254.210.175, when it should be connecting to 192.168.0.1.  The setup wizard won't let me set the IP on the printer regardless of my choice of automatic or manual setup.  The situation I'm seeing matches the HP doc:

"Compare the printer's IP address to the gateway IP address. They should have a similar format (for example, the gateway IP address might be 192.168.0.1 and the printer IP address 192.168.0.5). If the printer has an IP address similar to 169.254.XXX.XXX, it probably is not connected to your wireless network."

But the doc doesn't give any suggestions about how to set the IP address in the printer.

Also, the WPS process say's that it's successful, whether I push the button on the router or whether I enter the printer's PIN at the router config. 

Help.

Thanks,

Carleton

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended
Tell me about your network. If you are using WEP security, switch to WPA and try again. Also, make sure you are broadcasting your network name (SSID).
I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

Thanks.

The router was already set up to broadcast SSIDs.

But changing security to WPA did the trick.  Thanks!

Now, funny as it may seem, the HP computer that I bought the printer with takes about three times to set up the network printer, but two other machines install, config, and print just fine. 

During the setup on the HP machine, the printer shows up on the printer list to install with the correct IP address.  After that it doesn't install ( green check mark) until after the third try.  No feedback as to why.  After that, I can see the printer on my Win7 printers list, but can't print a test page.  I get an error message of 0X 00000057. 

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Carleton

HP Recommended

Download and run this utility, it should tell us what is going on. 

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Well...

I'd run this before and could see the printer using this app and the install app.  Now I run it and can't see the printer.  So, I go to one of my other computers that could connect to the printer.  Now it can't see the printer...  So, I wonder, has my router changed?  Nope.  The printer is on "a" network but no longer on my network.

So, then I look at the printer and it's blue light is on indicating that it's found "a" network...  I check the IP address on the printer and it's connected to the default IP address, 169.254.210.175.  Back to where I started...  🙂  

How that happened, I'll never know.  Did someone at home mess with it while I was at work?  Who knows.

So, I go through the laborious WPS discover routine pushing buttons on the printer and the router.  The printer says that WPS was successful and then it proceeds to connect... to the 169.254.210.175 network.  I guess I could try the PIN routine, but I've got to get other things done around home.

Setting up this HP wireless printer is a mess.  I don't have time to debug it every time it decides to do something different.  I don't know how to attach the output of the HP diagnostic.  So, I'm pasting the content in this post.  If you have some ideas that I should still try, then thanks.  Otherwise, I'll just have to hook it up with USB and ditch the wireless.  Here's the log content:

Network Data from CNetworkStore

Hostname: NancysComputer
IP Address: *.*.0.0
Connection Type: Wired
Signal Strength: 0
Adapter:
Computer MAC:
VPN Connection: No
Subnet Mask:
Default Gateway: *.*.0.0
Router MAC Address:
DNS Servers:
Is Network Connected: No
Is Internet Connected: No

Speed of the internet connection to the HP license plate url :  4850.994629 Kbit/s

****m_pNetworkStore->Dump() finished *****

m_wlanNwList contains 0 wireless networks

****m_pWlanNetworkStore->Dump() finished *****

Network Node:  #1
MAC Address: 00:22:3F:0B:*:*
Hostname: [Unknown]
IP Address: *.*.0.1

Network Node:  #2
MAC Address: D4:85:64:A2:*:*
Hostname: NancysComputer
IP Address: *.*.0.33

Network Node:  #3
MAC Address: 00:11:11:4B:*:*
Hostname: HOME-CWATKINS
IP Address: *.*.0.7

****m_pNetworkNodeStore->Dump() finished *****

****CNDUMasterData::DumpStores() finished*****

****m_pFirewallDetector->Dump() started *****

****m_pFirewallDetector->Dump() finished *****

HP Recommended

169.254.x.x is a self-assigned IP that the printer gets when it cannot attach to ANY network.

Run a Wireless Network Test from the front of the printer (what printer is this, anyway)?  It will test the printer's radio, which may have died.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

the printer is a Desk Jet 3000 J310 series

just ran the test from the printer as i'd done before...

all passes.  the printer see's my router's SSID WatkinsWireless as before...

but it's still stuck at it's default IP address.  this is what i was originally complaining about.

but at that time the blue light was flashing and not connecting.  after i changed my router to WPA, the WPS process worked and the printer got a lease on an IP address from my router.  things were good, but i could only get the two of three computers to talk to it.

now it looks like i'm back to square one.

HP Recommended

my router shows the printer's default IP address in the router's attached devices table.  the printer just doesn't seem to be getting a lease on a local address from the router

HP Recommended

So, its back to 169.254.x.x?  Odd.  What kind of router and ISP is this?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

yes, the printer's IP is back to factory default.

router is NetGear

ISP is Comcast

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.