Question

Honor Student
Jamaro85
Message 1 of 6 (3,071 Views)
Accepted Solution

"Can not connect to network." when entering correct password for wireless network

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I have the HP Photosmart C7200 All-in-One series.

This seems relatively trivial in comparison to some of the problems posted on here, but nonetheless it is a problem.  I have a Verizon FiOS router (Actiontec).  I am trying to connect to it wirelessly; the network key uses WPA authentication.  I have followed all instructions in the quick start guide.

My printer detects my network and asks for the authentication key.  I enter the correct key, the printer attempts to establish connection, but after about 15-25 seconds I get the error message, "Can not connect to network".  I know my key is correct; I am connecting to my router just fine via multiple laptops, my PDA, etc.  I reset the network settings to manufacturer defaults and tried again to no avail.

I don't know what sort of troubleshooting I am supposed to do here.  The printer detects the router (albeit low signal strength) every time I attempt to connect, I enter the correct password every time, and I get the error message every time.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Edit:  I printed the wireless network test report, here are the results:

Radio On   PASS

Radio Working   PASS

Ethernet Cable Not Plugged In   PASS

Network Name (SSID) Found   PASS

Security   PASS

Printer Settings Consistent with Wireless Router Settings   PASS

No Filtering   FAIL

Connected   Not Run

Signal Strength   Very Low

Other networks detected matching you network name (SSID)   No

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 6 (3,066 Views)

Re: "Can not connect to network." when entering correct password for wireless network

Good description, thanks!

I think this may be similar to problems people have connecting to their DSL router/modems:

Sometimes DSL (and FIOS?) providers have more control over the router than the printer likes.

- Unplug the FIOS line from the router
- Turn the power off on the router, wait 30 seconds, then turn the power back on.
- Go through the normal process of connecting the printer to the router.  In your case, the WIzard from the control panel.
- Now find the IP address of the printer (it should be on a self-test printout), type it into a browser.
- On that screen you will find a Networking Tab, then on the left Wireless, then the IPv4 Tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you know what that is, set an IP outside that range but no higher than 254 (the last number in the address).  If you don't know this, just use the current IP address.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Leave the gateway and DNS blank
- Finally, plug in the FIOS line, reboot the router and test.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
Jamaro85
Message 3 of 6 (3,060 Views)

Re: "Can not connect to network." when entering correct password for wireless network

Thanks for the timely response.

I can't get beyond step three of your instructions and still have the same problem.  Do you have any other ideas?

Running an ethernet cable from my router to my printer is not out of the question, but I would really like to get the wireless going.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 6 (3,058 Views)

I know this sounds odd, but try changing the wireless router's channel to channel 11.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
Jamaro85
Message 5 of 6 (3,049 Views)

You are the MAN!  This did the job.  I really appreciate the help in such a timely manner.  Now I can get back to work.

THANKS!

Student
RChrisLee
Message 6 of 6 (2,582 Views)

[ Edited ]

Wireless connecting a d110a printer and I had the same issue.

BTW - I have a FIOS ActionTec router as well and struggled all day yesterday with this same problem.  I spent two hours on call with tech support after spending three trying everything under the sun myself.

I changed the Channel to 11 manually and set it to stay even after router reboot.  Ran the config wizard again and had complete success.

Other tech info - I changed from WEP to WPA2 and enabled IP Filtering (because the HP tech made me!) - Not sure if these things are neccesary but I do know that the printer works with this part of the setup. I also lowered my firewall security to low to allow for Inbound and Outbound connection requests without adding rules to the router.  I will up this after testing to see if that is a problem at all.

To Repeat after all my problems and changes changing the Channel to 11 manually like suggested was THE KEY (for me)!

Thanks!

Chris Lee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation