Question

Top Student
Liberty2001
Message 1 of 185 (90,527 Views)

"HP Solution Center cannot run because your device installation is not complete"

I cannot use HP Solution Center because I only get this message when I start it: "HP Solution Center cannot run because your device installation is not complete".

I am running Windows XP with an HP PhotoSmart Premium. I can print just fine and the printer is recognized by the PC and the network. I get the same problem whether connected wirelessly or through USB. I have re-installed all software multiple times. Please advise on how to get Solution Center up and running. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 185 (90,510 Views)

Re: "HP Solution Center cannot run because your device installation is not complete"

[ Edited ]

Did you download and install from here

Then try this update.

Edit by Katie_H (3/30/11): Fixed broken link

I am employed by HP
Top Student
Liberty2001
Message 3 of 185 (90,481 Views)

Re: "HP Solution Center cannot run because your device installation is not complete"

HP Support helped me determine the solution. I had originally done a download of the just the drivers to an external drive and installed them from there. Then later I tried installing Solution Center from the CD. Apparantly, not downloading things to the C: drive caused the problem. Had to do a Level 4 clean up and re-install.

Honor Student
nellymusti
Message 4 of 185 (88,908 Views)

I have the same problem.But your solution didn't help me!

Top Student
Liberty2001
Message 5 of 185 (88,887 Views)

This took about 4 hours on the phone with tech support to resolve.

Honor Student
Peterdowl
Message 6 of 185 (88,858 Views)

Any idea what they did? I have the same problem and support suggestions via email are not assisting 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 7 of 185 (88,842 Views)

If you want help, please provide some details:

What operating system?

What printer?

How is it connected?  If to a router, what brand/model, what encryption, what ISP?

What have you done and what happened?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
Peterdowl
Message 8 of 185 (88,739 Views)

[ Edited ]

Sorry, long message, but it does give an answer which so far has worked!

This problem kept recurring on an Officejet 6500 E709n series purchased mid January 2010.

OS – Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit).

Router - Netgear DG834GT.  Encrytion: WPA. Data encrytion type: TKIP (hope encryption data make sense)

Connected to router via cat 5 ethernet cables are:-

Sony Touchscreen (VPCL1 series)(has also been set up to connect wirelessly)

Brother HL2150N

HP Officejet 6500

Also connected to the network but wirelessly is a Sony Vaio Laptop running Windows 7 (x64) Home Premium

The OJ6500 was the last printer to be installed. The Starter CD supplied with the printer was for Windows Vista so I did not use that  and instead installed the fully featured driver/software package from the DJ6500 support site -

HP Officejet Full Feature Software and Driver

Initially all worked well and I was able to access Solution Center. I was also able to print  to the OJ6500  from the Laptop. At some stage I notice that Solution Center no longer worked and the above error message appeared. From internet searches I read that the problem might be related to Adobe Flashplayer and that the fault could be corrected by uninstalling that (using an uninstall tool from the Flash player website), and reinstalling. That did not work and I then contacted HP support .

1. I was recommended to disconnect the printer from the network,  find Solutioncenter.msi (instructions available),  Uninstall that, close down and restart, find Solutioncenter.msi again and Install, find  Solutioncenter.msi again and choose Repair, close down and restart.

This worked but only temporarily, the problem soon recurred.

1. I was next recommended to do a level 3 uninstall from software on the Starter CD. This proved disastrous and I ended up with the installation software being unable to locate the printer even when I made a hard entry of the printer’s IP address. I had to abort re-installation.
  2. I was next recommended to do a level 4 uninstall from the Starter CD. By now it had occurred to me that I perhaps should not be attempting uninstalls from a Starter CD which had not been used_for the installation. Researches on the support site lead to me locating  HP Officejet Software and Driver Removal Utility (OJ6500vE709_Scrubber_14.exe). HP Support confirmed that I should disconnect the printer from the network, open scrubber and locate the Level 4 uninstall program, run this 4 times ( restarting between each), then uninstall Flash player then reinstall Flash from the link http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid+BUIGP, Finally re-install the full printer software again from the Windows 7 64 bit download.
  3. Step 3 worked perfectly and I once again had a fully functional Support center . I also printed a document from the laptop to confirm that connection was still working. I closed down and rebooted within a few minutes – Solution center no longer worked L – same error message.
  4. I was finally advised to ad a static IP address, by printing a Network Configuration page from the printer, opening the Embedded  Web Server link and manually entering the IP Address, etc. This took some time to respond to ‘Apply’ but eventually succeeded. I then had to open setup and choose to Add a device and follow through the installation process again. I should add that throughout this stage (5) my printer remained connected to the network. [I can expand on these steps if needed

This has worked for me so far. I have shut down and restarted several times and Solution center is always in place. The proof of the pudding will be when I get offered the inevitable updates of either FlashPlayer or from HP.

Please note – my computing knowledge is not such that I understand what the problem was and why the solution has now worked. It may also not be the answer to all situations which trigger this message. My email support was from HP Support in the UK  

Edit by Katie_H (3/30/11): Fixed broken link

Student
tdjensen
Message 9 of 185 (88,356 Views)

My situation was similar with a different product, and went through similar troubleshooting steps, with no satisfactory results until someone reminded me of something that I utilized when setting up a wireless router (but didn't relate it to the AiO setu).

Make sure to remove any docking stations ( or similar devices) and disconnect from the internet.  My notebook was connected to a docking station and was preventing the "configuring your product" step from completing.  I disconnected from my docking station and I directly connected the usb cable to my notebook, and the "configuring your product" immediately began and finished the set up including setting up my fax.  I received a Congratulations and Solution Center now works.  Maybe this will help you.

tdjensen

Student
PortlandPaw
Message 10 of 185 (87,093 Views)

This has happened to me so many times with different computers, different OSs, and I do not understand why HP hasn't just fixed this problem!

What has worked for me is to run the downloaded HP software (not the original CD), wait a few minutes while it extracts, and then select Install More Software, then Install Recommended.  Then select Add a Device and on the next screen, your method of connection.  Your printer should come up in the list of printers to be added.  Select it and continue.

At this point, it asks for you to insert the install CD a couple of times.  Cancel out of those screens and let the installation finish.  Get past the register page and all that garbage and you should be good to go.

I hate doing this almost every time I want to use the scanner, but at least it works for me.  Hope it works for you, too!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation