Question

Honor Student
cgualtie
Message 1 of 12 (5,413 Views)

reconfigure wireless printer after installing new router

I've just installed a new router and must now reconfigure my hp 3050 j610 series deskjet printer.  When I look for help with this online, everything directs me to just insert the installation cd and then follow the on screen instructions to reconfigure the router.  Unfortunately, when I insert the installation cd, it reads that I''ve already installed the printer drivers and takes me no further than the opening page...no help there!  Does anyone have a suggestion?  I called HP support and they want to charge a fee to anser my question since my printer is out of warranty...ridiculous!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 12 (5,386 Views)

Re: reconfigure wireless printer after installing new router

Look in Start > All Programs > Hewlett-Packard > [your printer model] for a program called Add a Device (or similar title).  Run it.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
OhNoBillS
Message 3 of 12 (5,154 Views)

Same issue as "cgualtie" - tried it - it didn't work

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 12 (5,149 Views)

OK, first, delete the printer in Control Panel.  Next, on the printer, go to the Wireless menu and Restore Defaults.

Finally, download the latest software for your printer from the "Support & Drivers" link at the top of this page.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
OhNoBillS
Message 5 of 12 (5,142 Views)

Thank you ... I have (already) carried out your suggestions, but still can't get my printer (C4385) to even be seen by the HP setup program.  The printer signal does show up in the Win 7 Networks and sharing Center, but when I run the HP setup program, at the point where it is supposed to connect with the printer, I get the error: "The specified service does not exist as an installed service."  My new router was installed by my ISP provider, and is a part of their TV-Internet-Phone service.  I did read somewhere on the HP community site about difficulties with ISP - provided routers.  I followed the troubleshooting  instructions (about ISP Provided routers) found on the HP Wireless Printing Center web page, but still get the same error message ("The specified service... ). 

This is very frustrating.  I'll appreciate any suggestions

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 12 (5,134 Views)

OK, what ISP?  What router?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
OhNoBillS
Message 7 of 12 (5,127 Views)

Again, thanks for following up.

The ISP is Road Runner with TimeWarner.  The router is actually a component of the cable modem, and is made by Arris.  (The computer is an almost new Lenovo w/ Win 7 Pro.)  My gut feeling, though, is that it probably is a software problem.  In my last attempt to install the setup, (which was after my previous post here)  I first disabled (pretty much) all of the start-up programs and services by un-checking them in the msconfig utility, then ran the setup, but this time trying to connect via USB - the setup ran almost to completion, but then created another error.  At that point, the software saw that there was an issue and tried to uninstall itself .. final uninstall message was to restart the computer to complete the uninstall.  But after re-booting, the HP uninstall program automatically ran again, and again gave the message to re-boot, which I did, and after which again the  uninstall program automatically ran ... this went on through 3 or 4 reboots.  I actually had a hard time trying to stop  this from recurring over and over, but eventualy did using task manager.   Anyway, I have a program called Total Uninstall (similar to Revo Uninstall, which many are familiar with) - I used Total Uninstall to try to wipe out the remains of any left over HP files and registry entries,but even after this, a brief look through the registry still showed that there are many HP references / keys still there. I'm wondering if there is a way to completely eliminate all HP registry entries, and then try again to install.

PS What's the likelyhood that this issue could be resolved by paying $24.99 for HP techincal phone support?

Thanks.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 12 (5,118 Views)

I am wondering if you indeed have a wireless router or just a cable modem from Comcast.  Do you know that you have a wireless network?

As far as the software is concerned, it may be worth $25 for somone to walk through your system.   Those uninstallers can do very strange things.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
OhNoBillS
Message 9 of 12 (5,113 Views)

It is indeed a cable modem/router built into a single device ... the signal shows up very well on the network connections utility in Win 7, and my 2 laptops are on line with it.  it was just installed, and is the reason I needed to reinstall the HP software in the first place  - as much as I searched on the HP support site, I couldn't  find any other way to get the printer to connect to the new wireless signal.  (Its a moot point now, but do you know of any way that I could have gotten my c4385 (all-in-one) printer to recognize and be seen by the new router signal witout going through a complete re-install of the printer software???)  Anyway, this is obviously more than just a problem of setting up a wireless connection, because even my attempt to connect via USB failed.  I have actually had many, repeated issues regarding wireless setup using this  software - over the years, my laptops lost their wireless connection after initially being connected, same with my old XP desktop - which I had to connect via USB for several years (until I got my current lenovo desktop) for the same reason, now this.  It doesn't make me feel very confident about the connectivity aspect of HP printer software (though I do like the hardware and most other aspects of the software.) 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 12 (5,096 Views)

Restart the router just before you try to install the printer.  This may be difficult because the modem/router may have a battery in it which will have to be removed along with the power cord (for a minute or so).

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation