01-12-2011 12:07 AM
Have a dv6t 2000 laptop and connecting to a photosmart 6150
Trying to figure out why I have two printer devices installed for the same printer, actually three, one says 6100 series (have to connect to laptop docking station), one says 6100 series 1 (this one i can print to wirelessly) and the last one says 6100 series fax.
Both the 6100 series and 6100 series 1 only allow me to scan when it is docked but i can print wirelessly to series 1.
is there a way to scan wirelessly as well. Allprinters are shared home network.
01-12-2011 07:18 AM
Let's handle the easy one first. The 6100 series fax icon was installed by the HP software as a printer so that you can select that printer from a program. When you select the 6100 series fax to print to, it sends out that document as a fax skipping the hard copy step of faxing.
When you look at the icons in the printers folder keep in mind that those are for printing not scanning. Those icons do not represent a scanner being installed. It would appear that you have setup the HP software once when docked. I am assuming that the printer is attached USB to the laptop dock.
To clear this up, delete the series 1. That is your network print icon. Once it is deleted, undock the laptop and then rerun the HP software. It should come up to a menu where you can select Add a Device. Go through the network install and it should put a series 1 icon back into the printers folder but also enable scanning over wireless.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
- HP Printers - Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection
- HP Web-Connected Printers and Supported Cloud Services for HP Printers
- HP LaserJet Printers - 'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the HP Printer Will Not Print
- Setting Up the Printer for a Wireless Network for the HP LaserJet Pro P1102w Printer
- HP Single-Function and Multi-Function Printers - How to Find the WEP or WPA Key or Password for Your Wireless Network