Question
why won't my laptop connect to my wireless printer
Replies (100)

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 21 of 101 (8,463 Views)

Re: having issue getting my all in one pritner to print from lap top

Let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you do not know the range, change the last set of numbers (those after the last '.') to 250
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS. This is Google DNS. You can choose another external DNS if you wish.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

Finally, run the Update IP Address one last time to set it to this permanant IP address.

I am employed by HP
Student
jbrady27
Message 22 of 101 (8,378 Views)

Re: why won't my laptop connect to my wireless printer

I have a new HP laptop - Pavillion dv 7 wireless

I have a wireless printer HP Officejet 6500 wireless

This printer is approximately 1 to 2 years old and was used with my previous HP laptop

Since having this new laptop I have been unable connect it.  I was able to print a HP Network configuration page showing that it is offline.

I do not know what to do to get this connected.  It is not old enough to replace.

Can you please help me?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 23 of 101 (8,373 Views)

Download and run this utility: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-104282-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

What does it say?

I am employed by HP
Student
bjbrooks123
Message 24 of 101 (8,171 Views)

I have an HP C 7280 printer which will no longer connect by Wi-Fi using Airport Express to my Mac.  What do I do?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 25 of 101 (8,167 Views)

Is the priner connected to the Airport (print a wirelss network test from the Network menu on the front of the printer)?

What version of OS X?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
Neil_MacLeod
Message 26 of 101 (7,864 Views)

I have 4 wireless laptops and I purchased the HP laserjet CP1025NW.  I successfully got it working on the first attempt, however, I had to change my router and as a result something weird happened.  The name changed on my control panel for devices and printers to NP10338A4 (HP laserjet CP1025 NW).  It works on three of my laptops and it was working on this one but when my wife tried to print a coupon from an online source it suddenly isn't working anymore.  I tried removing the printer and reinstalling.  I get the printer CP 1025NW to show up on my printers and devices screen but it won't connect to this laptop to print.  Its driving me crazy.  I tried plugging into the printer with the cord and when it installs the NP10338A4 it says it didn't install successfully but it shows up on my printers and devices and says its connected but when I open a word doc to try it out the word doc doesn't see my printer.  Not sure what to do

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 27 of 101 (7,842 Views)

What operating system(s)?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
Neil_MacLeod
Message 28 of 101 (7,824 Views)

windows 7 64bit,

I uninstalled on my other computer and easily re-acquired the printer, so I did the same thing to this one but to no avail.  It wouldn't print.

Honor Student
Neil_MacLeod
Message 29 of 101 (7,823 Views)

I forgot to mention that one computer is a vista 32bit (it works), one is a windows 7 32bit (it works), the third is windows 7 64bit (it works as it was the one I just uninstalled everything and reinstalled late yesterday) and as I mentioned I believe this one is a windows7  64bit as well (it's the newest of the laptops).  I tried to use the connect wirelessly program but it didn't work even though it said it was successful

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 30 of 101 (7,666 Views)

OK, go to Control Panel > Devices and Printer and delete all instances of the printer.

Next, re-add the printer in this manner:

1. Make sure the printer is turned on and connected to your network. Verify that you can access the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address before continuing. Get its IP from a Network Test printed from the front panel of the printer.
2. Click >> Start >> Control panel >> Devices & Printers.
3. Click the Add a printer
4. Select Local printer
5. Select Create a new port and select Standard TCP/IP Port and click Next button.
6. Under Device type, select TCP/IP Device. Under Hostname or IP address, enter the printer's IP address. Click Next.
7. Select Hewlett-Packard from the list of manufacturers and select and select your printer model. Click Next.
If your printer model was not listed, then select Have Disk, browse the HP CD that came with your printer and select the first file that starts with hp and ends with inf. Click Open then OK. Select your printer model. Click Next.
8. If you are asked, use the currently installed driver.
9. It will ask for the Printer name -- enter a new name or use the existing one. This will be the name of the printer that you select from other applications.
10. You may be asked to share the printer. Choose NO.
11. The Print Test Page box appears. Go ahead and print it.
12. Click Finish.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation