Question

Honor Student
Bandersnatch
Message 1 of 4 (351 Views)

windows xp 4620 wireless installation

My wireless router is an AT&T 2WIRE.  I have two different hard drives on my desktop PC, one with Windows 7 and one with Windows XP (SP3 and up to date on patches).  I've successfully connected my 4620 to the wireless network and it is recognized by my desktop Windows 7, as well as a other PCs on my home network with Windows 7 and Windows 8.

When I attempted to install the 4620 on my desktop XP system using the installation wizard, my first choice was to select the option indicating the 4620 was already connected to the network.  As prompted, I:

• Went to the device control panel and verified the 4620 was connected with excellent signal strength
  • Recorded the displayed IP address
  • Entered the IP address into the Wizard

After some huffing and puffing, the Wizard returned the message that the connection could not be made because the PC and the 4620 had to be on the same router.  It suggested that I might need to use the IP Update selection from the installation menu to correct the issue.

The 2WIRE is the only router.

Then I did some huffing and puffing until I finally found the IP Update was in the HP folder that had been created (not in the control panel or installation menu, as advertised).  Lo and behold, it re-invoked the Wizard with no new options.  I selected the the same options, did the same entries, and (voila!) was presented with the message that the installation was successful; however, after completing the Wizard a new pop-up appeared indicating there was a problem commnicating with the printer and it could not be accessed.

But wait, there's more . . .

I went back to the Wizard and took the second option -- Connect a USB cable to the printer so it can be given the networking information.

Same result.

I looked at FAQs and searched similar issues, but didn't find a workable solution.

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 2 of 4 (326 Views)

Re: windows xp 4620 wireless installation

The reason the printer will not install with the HP Install Wizard is that is a tool for WIndows 7 and Windows 8 noly.  Instead, you will want to download the HP Full Feature Software and Drivers for the OfficeJet 4620 the old-fashioned way through the website (the link is for Windows XP).  Try installing the drivers this way and let me know if that helps.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Honor Student
Bandersnatch
Message 3 of 4 (314 Views)

Worked!  God bless you!

Why would they give me a CD that said it worked for XP if it didin't?  And their help/information/work-arounds were kludgy at best -- okay, they sucked, one actually had me delete starting all my services and re-boot (kids, don't ever try this at home!).   Carly Florina, please come back!

Again, Thanks!

Bandersnatch

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 4 of 4 (295 Views)

Hello Bandersnatch,

I am very happy to help out!  I am sorry you went through so much but now that is a thing of the past luckily. Now, like Carly, you get to move on to have better experiences with your printer.

Happy Printing!! 

Cass :smileyhappy:

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation