Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have started splitting my time between two offices. At one, I have an HP Office Jet 8600 and it gives me no problems. My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro L775D,  running Windows 10 Home, is 3 years old, has 4 GB of RAM and is a 64 bit OS. It is the most reliable machine I have ever owned.

The other office also has an HP Office Jet 8600, and it is completely deaf to my laaptop. When I try to add the printer, it fails. And that is all it tells me is, "Failed".

There is also a TASKalfa 3550ci monster printer in the office. I added it, made it the default, and it still won't even print a test page.

I will be satisfied if I can just get my laptop to interface with the HP Office Jet. Is it possible that having 2 HP Office Jets in my devices file is what's screwing this up? I went back home last week and my old HP still printed for me, even with both printers listed.

Thanks,

DonTWC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Are you using the FULL feature software?

If not, can you download and install the FULL feature software?

The following resource will help you :

http://123.hp.com/us/en/

Key in your printer model, Operating System and download & install the FULL feature software.

It should be able to support the same printers at different sites.

You can even rename the printer as "Home" or "Office".

Go to Devices and Printers > Printer Properties > change the printer name in the box (near the top)

Hope that helps!

PS: we have had the same printers at 2 different locations, it should work.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Are you using the FULL feature software?

If not, can you download and install the FULL feature software?

The following resource will help you :

http://123.hp.com/us/en/

Key in your printer model, Operating System and download & install the FULL feature software.

It should be able to support the same printers at different sites.

You can even rename the printer as "Home" or "Office".

Go to Devices and Printers > Printer Properties > change the printer name in the box (near the top)

Hope that helps!

PS: we have had the same printers at 2 different locations, it should work.

HP Recommended

That worked. I guess I thought that since I already had all that software on my computer that I would not have to do it again.  Silly me...

HP Recommended

Hi @DonTWC,

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and all is working well now.

Have a nice day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.