Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have an old HP Deskjet 842c printer that is in great shape.  Haven't used it since I got a new computer that uses 64 bit.         I have a disk for installing the driver, but it won't because of the bit size.  Is there any way I can get a driver for this printer that will be compatable with my 64 bit computer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

My version of windows is 10.0.10586. 

I'm thinking that this windows may have already installed the driver for the printer.  I bought an off brand ink cartridge for it since I haven't used it for so long.  That's why I thought I needed a driver.  When I put the old cartridge back in, the printer went thru the steps for printing.  

Now I have to find some ink that is in the original cartarages that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Probably not due to bit "size" but due to new Windows. What is the version/edition of Windows on your new computer ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi:

See if the driver from the Microsoft Update Catalog works...

Follow these steps...

1.  Download and save the 2nd driver on the list.  That is the 64 bit driver.

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=%20Deskjet%20842c%20

2. Download and install this free file utility.  The 2nd file at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

http://www.7-zip.org/

3.  After you install 7-Zip, right click on the printer driver file you downloaded and select 7-Zip from the list of items.

4.  Have 7-Zip Extract to:  And let it extract the file to its folder name.

5.  Once that is done, go to your add printer wizard in the control panel and click on Have Disk when it asks you for the driver location.

6. Browse to the driver folder 7-zip created>prnhp001, and select the HP DeskJet 840C/841C/842C/843C printer from the list, and see if the driver installs that way.

HP Recommended

My version of windows is 10.0.10586. 

I'm thinking that this windows may have already installed the driver for the printer.  I bought an off brand ink cartridge for it since I haven't used it for so long.  That's why I thought I needed a driver.  When I put the old cartridge back in, the printer went thru the steps for printing.  

Now I have to find some ink that is in the original cartarages that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.