Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

This is VERY frustrating.  After installing an up to date printer driver for my new Win7 system, and installing new black ink cartridge the dang printer prints this Alignment Page every time I turn it on!  I have "aligned" it several times and yet HP insists on wasting my Green (money for wasted ink and paper) even though I have followed the software and test page's instructions several time!  Help!  This is rather ironic, considering my brand new printer software (wow that download was huge - no doubt more bloat software) has a How To Be Green button in the upper right!

I have been a long time supporter of HP by buying only your printer products for many years, but unless this gets resolved soon I'm going to go out and spend double what this printer cost and hand the money over to your comptetition.  This is intolerable!  I don't think your help software even contemplates this oversight, oh but I do notice I can click on a handy Buy from HP button!  By the way, I am not some neophite with computers, I built this pc and many more before it.

signed...Frustrated!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Have you tried this?

1. Turn off the printer and wait ten seconds. Turn it on again.

2. Let the printer print the test page.

3. After the test page is printed, disconnect the USB cable that is connecting the printer to your PC. Do not not turn off the printer while disconnecting the cable.

4. Place the test page on the scanner glass and press the SCAN button on the printer control panel. The On light will flash while the page is being scanned.

5. Remove the test page when the On light is no longer flashing.

6. Turn off the printer and wait another ten seconds.  Now you  can Turn it on again.

Is it no longer printing test pages?

Now you can reconnect the USB cable between the PC and the printer.

Please post your results.

regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

Hi,

Have you tried this?

1. Turn off the printer and wait ten seconds. Turn it on again.

2. Let the printer print the test page.

3. After the test page is printed, disconnect the USB cable that is connecting the printer to your PC. Do not not turn off the printer while disconnecting the cable.

4. Place the test page on the scanner glass and press the SCAN button on the printer control panel. The On light will flash while the page is being scanned.

5. Remove the test page when the On light is no longer flashing.

6. Turn off the printer and wait another ten seconds.  Now you  can Turn it on again.

Is it no longer printing test pages?

Now you can reconnect the USB cable between the PC and the printer.

Please post your results.

regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

It worked, but the obvious question is why isn't this information built into your huge printer driver download?  Why isn't this solution more easily obtainable, as it should be front and center with the printed and alignment help instructions?  If you really want to be green - end this kind of problem before it vexes many of your customers or you'll lose them for good.  As a business person I understand this concept, but does HP?

HP Recommended

Actually, as I think about it, this problem existed early on with this printer and other HP printers as well, and judging from the boards is still a problem today!  Food for thought for folks choosing their next printer...

HP Recommended

I tried this for my psc 1350 all-in-one. I've had the printer for a couple of years. I can't think why because the thing is insufferably temperamental. Its latest trick is printing a test page every time I turn it on. It didn't used to do this, it's only started doing it in the last week. It serves a home network (though it will only respond to two of the four computers-sometimes only one!) via a Belkin wifi server. I've been using it like this for quite a while now. This test page thing is new. Nothing has been changed. I tried the disconnection trick twice-it worked whilst the printer was connected to my main pc via usb (I use it this way for scanning) but when I connected it back to the Belkin and turned it on it printed the test page again.

I ran the sequence again but no fix. I can't afford to waste paper and ink this way. It'll be cheaper to buy a new printer. After the trouble this one has given me trying to get it to work on a network, I'll leave you to guess what make I won't be buying.

HP Recommended

Further to my last, I connected the printer to my pc via usb once again and it printed an alignment page again. It does it every time, however it's connected. It'll get the float-test if this goes on much longer!

HP Recommended

Thank you!

I "inherited" this PSC1315 from a friend after he got frustrated with it and bought a new scanner printer. He said it kept printing and printing by it's self. He had purchased it new a few years ago. I brought it home & connected to my Linux Ubuntu 10.04 and it worked fine except for the above noted problem which is definately irratating.

So, I disconnected it and reconnected my HP 990cse that I've had for around 10 years now and still working. (prints both sides)

This PSC1315 will be used for making copies.

PS. If I had not found an answer online I may have taken it to the Goodwill after the ink ran out.

HP Recommended

@kara46 wrote:

It worked, but the obvious question is why isn't this information built into your huge printer driver download?  Why isn't this solution more easily obtainable, as it should be front and center with the printed and alignment help instructions?  If you really want to be green - end this kind of problem before it vexes many of your customers or you'll lose them for good.  As a business person I understand this concept, but does HP?

The description of how to align the cartridges is shown in step 12 of the Setup Guide and on page 32-33 of the user manual here.   

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks Bob, but it was all so long ago now.......I didn't need or want to align the cartridges, that had been done. I can't remember how I fixed it in the end, but I did. Probably replaced the cartridges (around $20 apiece!) but eventually I bought  a Brother multi-function device which has behaved itself so far.

Thing is, my 1315 had been working (reasonably) well for several years, so why would I look in "Set up" when I was trying to troubleshoot?

What is the "Troubleshooting" section for? Obviously, HP doesn't know. I'll find out if Brother does-if it goes wrong!

HP Recommended

Dear Support :

I would say 'thanks' just for good manners, but HP is not deserving polite treatments, sorry. Why ?

1. I am having this problem for more than 3 years

2. tons of people (not customers, at HP's vision) are claiming about this same problem from many years too

3. Huge-bulky software; are you very sure everybody loves to edit pics in HP software ?

4. Annoying pools that only ask what HP wants to hear,

5. Almost every day software updates (is the same error still there ? What a pain !)

6. Could the Quality Management take notice of all that old claims ?

7. Should I search for solutions and waste ink and paper every time I spend good dollars replacing ink cartridges with HP ones ? If is a problem without solution, why don't you print the solution on the fancy -and expensive- cartridge boxes ? 

HP "Total Care" :  please AWAKE !    I want to buy solutions, not problems !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.