Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Office Jet 4620
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have an HP office jet 4620.  It was hooked into my old router.  When I tried to attach to new Router, software asked me to use a USB cord.  I do not have such a cord for this printer and would like to attach using the wireless method, but sofeward keeps sending me back to the cable option.  The router is from ATT U-verse.  I need step by step instructions on how to connect the printer wirelessly.

Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

HP Auto Wireless automatically sets the printer without connecting a USB, only if your computer is also connected wirelessly to the network. if your PC do not offer wireless connectivity a USB cable would be required unless your router supports WPS.

If your PC is wirelessly connected to the router, restore the pritner settings as following:

1. Click the WiFi button on the printer and select Restore Network Settings, confirm and prompt.
  2. Click the Setup (Wrench icon) and select Tools, then Restore Defaults and confirm any prompt.
  3. Turn the printer off and back on
  4. Open the HP Officejet 4620 software and follow the steps to connect a wireless printer.

Another option would be WPS Pin-Code or WPS Push Button, if your router supports a such, press the wireless icon on the printer and select WPS or Wireless protected Setup, folow the steps on screen to press your router push button or a PIN-code, consult your router documentation to check it capabilities of WPS.

If none applies to your PC or yout printer, either use a wirelessly connected computer or get a USB cable for thh setup, therefore a cable was provided with the printer.

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

When running setup from the CD, you can select wireless, no need USB cord/cable. Is it a new printer ? You can also download the following software and drivers and install to your computer:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL42011/mp-108821-4/OJ4620_1315-1.exe

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Tried both the old disk and downloading the new softward.  First it asks if I want to set up wireless.  When I do, it says it is scaning the network environment and then it tells me to hook up with a cable.  The blue dot on the printer contiues to flash.

HP Recommended

Hi,

HP Auto Wireless automatically sets the printer without connecting a USB, only if your computer is also connected wirelessly to the network. if your PC do not offer wireless connectivity a USB cable would be required unless your router supports WPS.

If your PC is wirelessly connected to the router, restore the pritner settings as following:

1. Click the WiFi button on the printer and select Restore Network Settings, confirm and prompt.
  2. Click the Setup (Wrench icon) and select Tools, then Restore Defaults and confirm any prompt.
  3. Turn the printer off and back on
  4. Open the HP Officejet 4620 software and follow the steps to connect a wireless printer.

Another option would be WPS Pin-Code or WPS Push Button, if your router supports a such, press the wireless icon on the printer and select WPS or Wireless protected Setup, folow the steps on screen to press your router push button or a PIN-code, consult your router documentation to check it capabilities of WPS.

If none applies to your PC or yout printer, either use a wirelessly connected computer or get a USB cable for thh setup, therefore a cable was provided with the printer.

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended
Thanks so much. Solution worked first time. Step by step was really helpful.
HP Recommended

Hi just to let you know this worked for me with a Virgin 3.0 hub and a HP 3250 all-in-one.  Seemed quicker too.  You do have to go back to the start of the HP installer and choose but then everything installs quick and easily.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.