Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
If I am correct, I believe that you need to set up both, WIRED and WIRELESS connections between you computer and your printer , and then select which type of connectivity you want to use from a dialog box that pops-up when you want to print.

I am not sure if you can use WIRELESS , if you have the cable connected. I don't remember but my gut feeling is "No".

If you are using two different printers this shouldn't be a problem, since they are separate devices.

Mine printer us set up with two connection types;

USB (meaning a wired connection)
Wireless Network (or similar)

I currently using an HP e-6520/6525 All-in-One Printer. It has a couple if quirks, but yields a nice printout when the quicks don't arise.

It comes with a nicer a nicer (mire robust) piece of software than the HP Solution Center, but all considered, the HP Solution Center is decent and fairly easy to use.

DaleBr

HP Recommended

@MSS1 wrote:

PS - where is the "accept as solution" button?

The "accept as solution" button is not available to you because you did not start the thread here - the accept is for the originator of the thread.

You can click the "thumb's up" for any posts you found useful.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended
OK...that makes sense.

Thanks

DaleBr
HP Recommended

Thanx! I did!

HP Recommended

Where do you set up the connections? The pop-up print box only shows available printers, not connections. Only one printer for both wired and wireless Win 7 computers.

HP Recommended
If I am correct, you use the same install CD or driver downloaded from HP's web page that you did to make a wireless connection.

Once you do this, you will have two separate printer drivers: one for the Wired connection and one for the Wireless connection. You choose which one to use when you decide to print.

DaleBr

HP Recommended

thank you.  The CD no longer works. I'm not sure I want to re-install the driver again, as Solution Center now working. Maybe I'll call HP directly since I had a "ticket."

HP Recommended
OK:

but you can't install the HP Solution Center by itself.

It's part of the printer driver's installation.

DaleBr
HP Recommended

The connection is set up as follows:  click Start, Devices and Printers, right click on the Photosmart 6200 Series, select Printer Properties, Ports.  Directly wired ports will be something like USB001: (or perhaps another number).  Wireless ports will have have names like CNxxxxxxxx and will be called HP Network Re-discovery Port Monitor or HP Standard TCP/IP Port.

Printer's will generally not work with both wired and wireless connections at the same time.  I usually set them up as wireless (or wired network) so they can be shared with all the computers in the house.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

In my Win 7 device window, HP_192......YG Standard TCP/IP Port for Fax/Printer (copy 2) is checked.  Available ports are LPT1,2,3 Printer Ports (with my device copy 1 indicated for LPT1, some COM serial ports.  The USB001 port is "Virtual port" and also lists my fax/printer (no copy indicated). There is also a FILE and a DOT4 HP port.

I don't know what "wired network" means. I do have another computer networked wirelessly to the HP.

Does this mean that my printer port is wireless, even though I have it corded to the computer? (And printer "dings" off if I unplug the cord from printer.)

Since it's working, maybe it doesn't really matter.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.