Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I'm trying to set up an HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910 printer on an HP Elitebook 840 G3 laptop (Win 7 x64) via USB and the drivers continually fail to install.  It recognizes the printer in Devices and Printers, but just will not install the drivers.  I've checked in BIOS to confirm USB ports are active, tried downloading drivers from HP site direct to laptop, ran Troublshooter from Devices and Printers, ran HP Install Assistant, but the driver install fails every single time.  Says 'No driver found' when trying to install driver from printer properties (tried both searching the web and tried locally pointing it to the drivers folder which i had downloaded direct from the HP site for the make/model).  When using the HP install Assistant, it gets to the part where it has you connect the printer via USB, then we plug in the printer and the computer recognizes it but the HP Install Assistant will pop up with an error that says 'No device detected'.  We've rebooted, removed the device and tried again, but this driver will not install.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Had PRECISELY the same issue with my HP B110 and a new HP Probook 450 last week..

Google USBREADER.exe

Sorted the problem for me...

And its really CARP that a company the size of HP can't provide this information.

HP Recommended

Yeah, the USBREADER issue was the first issue i came accross trying to get this printer set up - i thought once i got that resolved that the rest would be easy peasy...unfortunately it was just the first of my problems lol.  I've got that .exe file renamed per the instructions but it still won't install the driver...unless i'm remembering that incorrectly and the USBREADER.exe is something else that i need to run.  I Google'd it but am still sorting throughthe results. 

And you are correct that it really is crap that HP can't get this sorted out, i've always had issues trying to install HP printers on Windows OS, even on HP computers, via USB.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.