Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Laserjet 5100 printer installed on a computer running XP that is on a workgroup network without internet access.  I have a new Windows 7 computer on the same workgroup.  I want to print documents created on the Windows 7 computer with the Laserjet printer, but I need to install the Windows 7 printer driver to do so.  The HP drivers support site says the driver needed is built into Windows 7, but it won't tell me it's name or let me download it.  Any suggestions on how to find or download the driver or what it's name is?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi micror,

The drivers for Windows 7 are only available online via Windows Update..

If the specific computer cannot access teh web you may download the drivers from the Microsoft Update Catalog.

As you did not mentioned your OS type, you may find both of the options below..

If you are not sure about your OS type follow the steps below:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02033168

For 32-bit OS edition use the first result, for 64-bit use the third or the fifth option (that very by your processor type, the wrong one simply won't work...)

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=laserjet%205100

To download the driver from Microsoft, add the required file to the basket first.

Then click View Basket and follow the download link..

As the package is compressed you will need to use any archiver program to extract it (e.g. Winrar).

Last but not least, as a printer installed on Windows XP cannot be shared automatcally with newer OS client you should add the drivers manually as following:

1. After downloading the correct driver extract it to a temporary folder.
  2. From the Client (Windows 7) go to Devices and Printers and click Add a printer.
  3. Select to add a Local printer
  4. From the port selection screen create a new port by selecting a Local Port.
  5. Into the port name fill in a \\HOSTNAME\Sharename prefix
    • To locate the hostname of your HOST computer (XP PC), right click My Computer and select Properties, the hostname will be listed on that screen..
    • To locate the Share name go to Printers and Faxes, right click the printer icon and select Properties.. Then go to the Sharing tab and the sharename will be listed.
  6. Continue the add a printer wizard and from teh driver selection click Have Disk.. Browse the extracted folder ocntaining the INF drivers of your printer.

Best of luck,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended
The instructions you're looking for are linked below. Hope that helps.

HP LaserJet, Color LaserJet, and LaserJet AiO/MFP Products - Install the driver included in the Windows 7 operating system (OS):
http://goo.gl/K9VRj
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

Thank you for the link.  I've tried it but it doesn't match my situation.  The printer interface is a parallel port, not USB.  It is installed on an XP machine on my network and is shared.  I can't plug the printer directly into the Windows 7 machine (no parallel port).  I used the link you suggested and followed the procedure to load the driver as if the printer was connected to the Windows 7 computer.  The software gave me a list of printers to choose from, but my printer wasn't there.  The instructions said to press the "Windows Update" button to add more entries to the list, but the computer doesn't have internet access.

The only way I see to do this is to download a printer driver using a computer that has internet access, then put the driver on a cd or flash drive and load it onto the Windows 7 machine.  HP's web site tells me the driver is already in Windows 7 and doesn't offer a way to download it or the name of the file so I can browse to it.  Microsoft's web site had the same story.

Any suggestions on how to request the file, or something else to try?  Thanks for your help

HP Recommended
I'm going to pass this along to a colleague of mine that deals strictly with commercial class printers like the one you have. They should be in contact with you soon.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

Hi micror,

The drivers for Windows 7 are only available online via Windows Update..

If the specific computer cannot access teh web you may download the drivers from the Microsoft Update Catalog.

As you did not mentioned your OS type, you may find both of the options below..

If you are not sure about your OS type follow the steps below:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02033168

For 32-bit OS edition use the first result, for 64-bit use the third or the fifth option (that very by your processor type, the wrong one simply won't work...)

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=laserjet%205100

To download the driver from Microsoft, add the required file to the basket first.

Then click View Basket and follow the download link..

As the package is compressed you will need to use any archiver program to extract it (e.g. Winrar).

Last but not least, as a printer installed on Windows XP cannot be shared automatcally with newer OS client you should add the drivers manually as following:

1. After downloading the correct driver extract it to a temporary folder.
  2. From the Client (Windows 7) go to Devices and Printers and click Add a printer.
  3. Select to add a Local printer
  4. From the port selection screen create a new port by selecting a Local Port.
  5. Into the port name fill in a \\HOSTNAME\Sharename prefix
    • To locate the hostname of your HOST computer (XP PC), right click My Computer and select Properties, the hostname will be listed on that screen..
    • To locate the Share name go to Printers and Faxes, right click the printer icon and select Properties.. Then go to the Sharing tab and the sharename will be listed.
  6. Continue the add a printer wizard and from teh driver selection click Have Disk.. Browse the extracted folder ocntaining the INF drivers of your printer.

Best of luck,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended
How can , in postscript option, show mirrored output, I have win 7 64 bits, download the driver hp web, but not work, the driver is postscript in laserjet 5100, thanks
HP Recommended

Hi Degebe,

You wrote: "I have win 7 64 bits, download the driver hp web, but not work, the driver is postscript in laserjet 5100".

You downloaded the driver postscipt but how version, file name, date ?

I used old HP Laserjet 5100 (Black&White) with Windows 7,8 and 10 now. I installed with HP Universal Printer Driver PCL6, version "6.0.0.18449".

Regards,

dungleviet

HP Recommended
The driver is postscript, not pcl6, the problem is in the options postscript, mirrored output, regards,
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.