Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP DESKJET 2540
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello, my problem is, that I can't print from notepad,worpad or openoffice, but I can print from ms paint.

I have installed the latest drivers. Also updated the firmware. Tried the HP Print & Scan Doctor,it says everything is ok.

I have selected the HP DESKJET 2540 as the default printer (is the only printer i have). The programs, notepad,word and oppenoffice recognize the printer,but,when i click on print nothing happens.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Semoso

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service.

As I Understand the Microsoft paint works whilst using the printer but none of the applications under Microsoft office work,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help you, although, to provide an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern: 

Did you try running the program as administrator to check if it works?

have you attempted a system restore to point in time, you didn't have these issues?

While you reply, here's what you should know:

The issue could have been caused by the security settings changed on the user profile.
You may either create a new user, login with the new user profile to install the printer or Turn off the UAC from the control panel and Restart the PC.

Here are the steps to configure UAC settings:

Open User Account Control Settings by clicking the Start button and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type uac, and then click Change User Account Control settings.

• To turn off UAC, move the slider to the Never notify position, and then click OK

if you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. You will need to restart your computer for UAC to be turned off.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Semoso

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service.

As I Understand the Microsoft paint works whilst using the printer but none of the applications under Microsoft office work,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help you, although, to provide an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern: 

Did you try running the program as administrator to check if it works?

have you attempted a system restore to point in time, you didn't have these issues?

While you reply, here's what you should know:

The issue could have been caused by the security settings changed on the user profile.
You may either create a new user, login with the new user profile to install the printer or Turn off the UAC from the control panel and Restart the PC.

Here are the steps to configure UAC settings:

Open User Account Control Settings by clicking the Start button and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type uac, and then click Change User Account Control settings.

• To turn off UAC, move the slider to the Never notify position, and then click OK

if you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. You will need to restart your computer for UAC to be turned off.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, it was the UAC I turned it off and now I can print.

HP Recommended

@Semoso

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm glad you found the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And accept this as the solution to help others find your post helpful.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.