Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8610
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I'm unable to print to our wireless printer in our office. This suddenly occurred last week and I haven't been able to print since receiving a message that the printer is in use when I click print on a document. I click print and the HP OfficeJet Pro 8610 app opens and says "Printing - printer in use" even though the print is not in use and the document never prints. Everyone else in the office (7 others) is able to print to this printer without a problem. I have tried removing the printer and then re-adding it in system preferences but have not solved the problem. If someone could please advise how to fix this issue that would be very helpful.

Thank you, 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

In System Preferences open Printers and Scanners.

Click on the print queue for the printer and click the (-) button at the bottom of the window.

Then click on the (+) to create a new print queue.

If this does not work you may need to try more drastic measures like Resetting the Print System.

Try performing a "reset print system" on the Macintosh and then reconnecting to the printer.

To reset the print system perform the following:

1. Open System Preferences
2. Click on the Printers & Scannners
3. Control click or Right click in the box listing the current print queues.
4. Select Reset printing system...
5. Enter admin User Name and Password
6. Reboot the Macintosh
7. Try setting up the printer again

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
HP Recommended

Hi amandabauer,

This issue is fairly common with Mac computers, especially laptops. Make sure your computer is NOT connected to the network via wireless AND Ethernet cable. When your computer is connected to the internet through both means, you will not be able to print to network printers.

If your computer is connected via wireless and Ethernet cable, disconnect the wireless, cancel the existing print request, and then try printing again.

Let me know if that worked for you! 🙂

Jesyka 🙂

I work on behalf of HP. #HPExpertsDay

Please click the thumbs up + button if I have helped you. Mark Accepted Solution if your problem is resolved.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your suggestion. I've deleted/reset/re-added the printer and it still doesn't work. The message still says "printer in use". Do you have any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

Hi Jesyka, thanks for your response. I'm not connected via ethernet, only via wifi. Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

Hmmm... let's see. Let's try the longer version to reset the printer settings and driver. I know you've done steps very similia to this, but bare with me. Let's give it one more shot.

I have a few steps to suggest to try on your Mac with the issue. Try these steps in order:

1. Mac OS X: How to reset the printing system
  2. Repair disk permissions
  3. Restart the Mac
  4. Install the Full Driver here. (Make sure it's the Full Feature Software and Drivers)
  5. In addition, download this driver: HP Printer Drivers v3.0 for OS X

You should now be able to scan and print on your Mac! Please let me know if that worked. If not, I might not be able to assist futher, and recommend contacting HP Customer Support.

Jesyka 🙂

I work on behalf of HP. #HPExpertsDay

Please click the thumbs up + button if I have helped you. Mark Accepted Solution if your problem is resolved.

HP Recommended

amandabauer,

Are other people currently able to print to the printer?  Other Mac users?

Can you print out a Network Configuration Page and make sure the Bonjour name listed on the report matches teh printer you are selecting in Printers & Scanners?

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.