Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
8600 Pro Plus N911g
macOS 10.12 Sierra

Okay, so I'm beyond frustrated as I have spent numerous hours trying everything under the sun to get this printer to enable web services or update firmware. I unfortunately had the bad update pushed to the printer long ago, but did not realize this until I had trouble enabling web services. Whenever I would try to enable, it connects to the servers fine, but when it then tries to enable, it kicks out an error saying "web services not enabled." I could not get web services to enable no matter what I tried so I tried to update the firmware manually from desktop and only get a "not applicable" error every time. Printer scans and prints fine, but can't print from web obviously. Here's everything I tried or at least what I can remember now:

Product Name: HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911g

Product Model Number: CM750A

Firmware version: CKP1CN1416AR

"Web Services Not Enabled"

1. Tried reset by unplugging while printer powered on

2. Tried using ethernet, wireless, and even mobile phone hotspot

3. Tried partial reset in hidden support menu

4. Tried using web interface but get same "not enabled" error

5. Turned off IPv6 as I don't utilize on my network

6. Tried both of the networks I have and neither worked

6. Set manual IP

7. Set manual DNS servers to Google DNS and other DNS addresses suggested in other threads

8. Made sure time settings were correct

9. I have no proxy so nothing to try there

10. Reset network settings

11. Reset to factory defaults

12. Nothing in event viewer (Windows) or console (Mac) that points to an issue

13. HP Print and Scan Doctor shows no issues

Firmware "not applicable"

1. Tried updating using web services but since I could not enable, this did not work

2. Tried updating from Windows desktop but firmware update utility finds the correct serial and model number but says "not applicable"

3. Tried updating from Mac computer but firmware update utility says same thing as when on Windows computer

I'm sure there's several other things I tried that were not on this list as I can't remember at the moment. I've scoured all over to find a solution and have tried every troubleshooting steps I've found. Does anyone have a solution or can think of something else for me to try that isn't listed here? HP software has unfortunately been quite a nightmare for years and years and it looks like the bad update that was pushed prematurely is causing residual issues.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try following these steps to update the firmware and let me know the results:

1. From a Windows PC download and run the following firmware update utilty:
    http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/OJP8600_N911g-n_R1545A.exe
  2. Once the tool show the firmware update as not applicable, press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC together to launch the task manager.
  3. Right click the "DeviceUpdate.exe" proccess and select Open File Location.
  4. Right click on "EnterpriseDU.ini" (a Configuration settings type of the extention is hidden), select Open With > Notepad.
  5. Change the VerifyDownloadID=1 value to 0, close the file and save the changes.
  6. return to the open firmware updater and press the refresh button, then check for any other status. and press the update button if possible.

If that doesn't help, try temprary connecting the printer with a USB cable and then update the firmware.

Be sure to prepertly add the printer first by openning the HP Officejet Pro 8600 software, open the Utilities tab and click on Printer Setup & Software, then follow the steps by selecting USB and plug the pcable only once prompted to do so, then try updating the firmware again.

Please et me know the results,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi ShlomiL,

Thank you for your response. I tried as you suggested, but printer won't update. I tried it with the printer connected by ethernet, then tried by wireless just to see, then tried it by USB as you suggested. I even tried it with two different computers. Every time, no matter what connection type I'm using, it tells me "The update failed on 1 printer. Please turn the printer off, then on, and retry the update." I did as instructed, but it did not help. I even reset to default settings again then tried but no luck. Then I tried another partial reset from the hidden menu and tried again, but no luck. I went into the EnterpriseDU.log to see if I could see what was going on, but it's less than helpful. It just shows the following:

FDU is running in normal mode.

Printer model: HP Officejet Pro 8600

Timeout: 5

VerifyDownloadID: true

Firmware version: CKP1CN1545AR

Firmware version: CKP5CN1545AR

Firmware version: CLP1CN1545AR

Firmware version: CLP5CN1545AR

User selected <Refresh> button

Printer model: HP Officejet Pro 8600

Timeout: 5

VerifyDownloadID: false

User selected <Update> button

Total devices to flash: 1

Updating USB001: Sent failed, Device update failed

All threads ended

Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

Just so you know, I never got this printer updated. I replied with what happened, but no luck. HP has been banned from my household since then for their piss poor software and drivers. I work in IT and am in charge of maintaining the networks, computers, printers, and various other A/V devices for about 300 employees and without fail, I spent an exorbinant amount of time troubleshooting HP's garbage. HP will soon be banned from each of the companies I work with. There's no place in a business for such novice programming. Thanks anyways for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.