Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet P2015dn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I have been unable to install my printer on Windows 10 64-bit. My printer appears as a "unwnown device" and the device manager tells me that "A request for the USB device descriptor failed." My printer is connected with the PC via USB. I have tried installing official drivers from HP web page but my pritner did not appear on the list when the instalation wizard wanted me to select my printing device. I have also tried unplugging all my usb devices and rebooting my pc, without any success. Thank you for your replies,

Jan Mayer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, dungleviet,

I tried everything you told me, without any success. I did, however, find the problem. It has nothing to do with the drivers. The cable from my printer is not long enough to be plugged in my PC, so I have to use an extention. When I tried plugging the printer in my laptop directly (without the extending cable), windows downloaded the drivers on itself end set the printer up and running. That means the problem was in my cable. Let this be a lesson for everybody with the same problem: "chceck your **bleep** cables" 🙂

Thank you for your reply, I consider this problem solved.

Jan Mayer

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi Jan_Mayer,

If you tried install with latest driver from HP web page but it no working ("6.3.0.21178" now), let you try install with older driver, example as: "6.1.0.20062" or "6.0.0.18849". I tried with "6.0.0.18849" and HP Laserjet 2015d worked fine.

You can search and download at: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/UPD/

Before reinstall driver, you need to remove all existing old printer drivers and software first.

Let you try follow these steps:

1. Turn off printer.
  2. In the “Devices and Printers” look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device".
  3. In “Programs and Features”, look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Uninstall" or "Remove ".
  4. Restart computer.
  5. Run (example “upd-pcl6-x64-6.0.0.18849”), select “USB mode plug and play”, then in "Devices and Printers”  will happened two printers (your HP Laserjet and HP Universal Printing PCL6).
  6. Go “Devices and Printers” again, choose "Delete" or "Remove Device" both printers that.
  7. Restart computer again.
  8. Turn on printer and wait Windows know your printer. If Windows know your printer is “HP Universal Printing PCL6” is finish.

Hope this helps.

dungleviet

HP Recommended

Hi, dungleviet,

I tried everything you told me, without any success. I did, however, find the problem. It has nothing to do with the drivers. The cable from my printer is not long enough to be plugged in my PC, so I have to use an extention. When I tried plugging the printer in my laptop directly (without the extending cable), windows downloaded the drivers on itself end set the printer up and running. That means the problem was in my cable. Let this be a lesson for everybody with the same problem: "chceck your **bleep** cables" 🙂

Thank you for your reply, I consider this problem solved.

Jan Mayer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.