Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 8500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After upgrading to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, I can't scan to my OfficeJet 8500 909n.  I get this message:

"The scan cannot be performed because another program or computer is using the networked HP imaging device. Try again later."

I have de/re installed HP Solution Center 5 times.  I have rebooted routers.  I have power-cycled my PC and printer many times. 

I can print to this printer from three PC's.  I just can't get the scanning to work like before.  This has been driving me crazy for over 5 hours.  I am honestly ready to revert back to Windows 7.  The printer is connected via wired network.

Can anyone please help?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for the feedback, can you try this alternative software:

HP Scan Extended

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi

Once it's downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

Let us know if that works.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums. Can you try the following:

Please Download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor (PSDR) tool to diagnose and fix your problem

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-926&h_lang=en&h_client=s-h-e016-1&h_keyword=dg-PDU

Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

Thank you, but I tried that utility already, to no avail.  Is it normal that my printer appears twice?  (see screenshot)

I gave it a name (years ago) of SRV.  Should that be removed?  If so, how?Capture.JPG

HP Recommended

Hi,

Would suggest that you try the following;

Please Uninstall and Reinstall the FULL feature software following these steps:

1. Uninstall the software in your computer
2. Download and save the FULL feature software (do not install it online)

The following resource will help you :

HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows
http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL50403/mp-150580-2/hppiw.exe

3. Install the FULL feature “Saved” software

Once you have downloaded and installed the FULL feature software, you will be able to print and scan.

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

I'm sorry to say that I did installit that way twice.  I was careful to completely remove the old version - and then installed the complete new version (exe) from within my PC.  This problem is far more involved than re/de install.  There is DEFINITELY a driver-type problem.

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for the feedback, can you try this alternative software:

HP Scan Extended

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi

Once it's downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

Let us know if that works.

HP Recommended

The HP Scan Extended utility works!!  It does most everything the original scan software does - except that it does not identify individual photos and break them apart.  It keeps everything as one image (requiring manual crop and save for each photo).

For me, this is a 90% fix.  At least I can scan to image or pdf and send to email, etc.

Would still really like to see HP fix the scan problem from within the "HP Solution Center".

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and all is working well now (even though it's 90%).

Have a nice day! 🙂 

HP Recommended

Hi @Hal56

You may be interested in this resource for scanning :

Scanning for Dummies

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

Well, since we've gotten this far with using an alternate scan utility, I need to ask if there might be another scan utility that contains "Advanced Settings" so it can perform the "Auto-crop" function, for doing multiple photos.  The HP Scan Extended utility does not provide for this.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.