Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HPJ610a Deskjet 3050
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I moved into a fibre-connected network area (NBN Australia) and installed a new D-Link DIR-850L router.  I was unable to connect to the router using WPS.  I had to buy an HP Envy, which connected wtihout difficulty.  I have jsut upgraded my router to a TP-Link Archer C9, with a richer control interface, so I tried again to connect my Deskjet 3050.  Again, no luck.

I hvae read a number of posts about this, and they all come down to re-using your installation software for the printer.  The problem is that the driver software for OS X El Capitan comes from Apple, and is already up-to-date. I am able to run the printer when connected by USB cable, so if I could work out how to emulate an installation, I might be able to get it connected.  Is there any way to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry for jumping in, but the Mac OS X steps are incorrect indeed.

From System Preferences select Printers & Scanners.

Double click the listed USB printer and select Printer Settings / Options.

Open the Utilitiy tab and then click on Open Utility.

Within the shown screen select Convert to Wireless and follow the steps on screen to connect the pritner to your wireless network.

Note: if no such option is shown, click the top Device menu and select Connect a new printer, then follow the steps by selecting a wireless connection.

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @p_b_w

Welcome to the Support Forums. I understand that you are trying to connect your Deskjet 3050 onto your new wireless network. 

Not sure if you can emulate the installation, though you can try this: Convert from a USB connected printer to wireless

Let me know if those steps worked for you. If they did, that’s awesome! Give us some reinforcement by hitting the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Aardvark1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

From the page 

Convert from a USB connected printer to wireless

Mac OS X: Open Finder and go to Applications -> HP -> Printer Setup & Software.

This does not exist on my computer, and no software is available from H-P, because it is all supposedly provided through the App Store.  My drivers are part of the OS X softwre, and if I go to the App Store and search for "Hewlett-Packard" I get no results.  If I search for hp inc. i get scanner utilities, and that's all.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry for jumping in, but the Mac OS X steps are incorrect indeed.

From System Preferences select Printers & Scanners.

Double click the listed USB printer and select Printer Settings / Options.

Open the Utilitiy tab and then click on Open Utility.

Within the shown screen select Convert to Wireless and follow the steps on screen to connect the pritner to your wireless network.

Note: if no such option is shown, click the top Device menu and select Connect a new printer, then follow the steps by selecting a wireless connection.

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks Shlomi.  I didn't have a chance to get back to this until now.  I found the necessary functions once I started the Utility.  I then removed the (USB) printer from my active printers in Printers & Scanners, turned the printer off, disconnected the usb, and restarted ther printer.  When the wireless connection light wsa steady, I added the printer (now wireless) an all was good.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.