Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Help.  I'm back to square 1 in trying to print a document on a '98 HP Deskjet 722c printer, which was working fine on a HP Laptop/Vista system. That was two months ago.

Currently I have a Levono Laptop/ Windows 7 system, with the above printer connected to the computer via a USB-parallel adapter.

I've tried several of your recommendations... with no success.

Is there hope?

Neil

HP Recommended

I don't know what you mean, "several of your recommendations." There's only one solution, and if it didn't work you did not do it right. Check this out.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Software/Deskjet-710-720-810-820-1000-Series-printer...

HP Recommended

@nlarks wrote:

Help.  I'm back to square 1 in trying to print a document on a '98 HP Deskjet 722c printer, which was working fine on a HP Laptop/Vista system. That was two months ago.

Currently I have a Levono Laptop/ Windows 7 system, with the above printer connected to the computer via a USB-parallel adapter.

I've tried several of your recommendations... with no success.

Is there hope?

Neil

There are a couple things to check:  Do you have a 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows 7?  Do you know that your USB-parallel adapter works in Windows 7?

If you have a 32 bit version of Windows 7 then the patch in this thread should *not* be applied - it is not necessary for 32 bit systems and applying the patch will cause probems.

What exactly have you tried?  Are there any error messages?  What port are you using?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi Bob,

In response...

1.  It's a 64 bit W7 sytem, and

2. How does one determine if the USB-Parallel adapter is working, or if there's a driver associated with it?

Neil

HP Recommended

I don't use a USB to Parallel adapter I use a print server. I do have a USB Parallel adapter. I plugged it in for a test, it worked fine with 64 bit Window 7. Windows recognizes the adapter and installs it automatically. The only thing you would have to do is manually change the port.to Virtual Printer Port, assuming the printer driver is installed correctly, manually installing the patch for 64 bit windows. My printer is a 722C.

HP Recommended

I was hoping to say Eureka! but that was not meant to be.

As you suggested, I change the printer port to USB001(Virtual Printer Port) and tried to print a Test Page.

Result: No print and no discernible print message.

I truly believe I have to return to square 1.

In the past I downloaded the Patch and also WinZip to unzip it, but nothing happened- as best as I can tell.

Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

Of coarse nothing happened. You have to manual overide the 3 files in Windows system 32 folder. As explained earlier.

HP Recommended

@nlarks wrote:

I was hoping to say Eureka! but that was not meant to be. 

As you suggested, I change the printer port to USB001(Virtual Printer Port) and tried to print a Test Page.

Result: No print and no discernible print message.

I truly believe I have to return to square 1.

In the past I downloaded the Patch and also WinZip to unzip it, but nothing happened- as best as I can tell. 

Any suggestions?

The patch must be downloaded, unzipped and then installed in the proper directory after the spooler is stopped as described in the post here

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

You having successfully tested an Hp 722c printer on a 64-Bit Windows 7 system, I have a few questions.

Did you first download the recommended patch. If so, what Un-Zip program did you use? 

I can download, but not unzip.

HP Recommended

Count me as another satisfied customer!!  New (yes, finally) Win7 64 bit PC and just could not get my trusty DeskJet 722C to work.  After scouring the web -- and initially thinking I had a very different problem (the Windows printer fix kept saying to make it the default printer, which just didn't work) -- I happened on this forum/fix.  After a couple of miscues from still getting to know the under-the-hood differences in Win7, got the new driver installed and it works exactly as advertised!!  Many thanks for this.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.