Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
It's not going to work with Windows 8. No need to even try.

@sammorxman wrote:
thank you so much for imparting your knowledge!
I have the same prob... Spooler error with 'installed' Deskjet 712C.
However I use Win 8. I am assuming the underpinnings are relatively the same
hope it works.
I hate it when a customer runs out and buys a new computer without consulting with me.

I'll post back with my results
Sam
Blue Juniata Consulting

HP Recommended

@darrel112 wrote:

I do not know that is true - no one has reported here getting it to work, but that does not necessarily mean it cannot.   I do not have any information on Windows 8 USB-parallel converters working, I am trying to get the hardware together to do some testing with a Win 8 machine with an actual parallel port just to eliminate one more variable.

I would certainly like to hear results from other folks out there.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended
I'm working on just that. USB to parallel converter
Windows 8
Deskjet 712c

Win 8 recognizes the usb device, but doesnt seem to know it is a parallel port converter
I successfully downloaded a driver from hp
It will not print a test page. I get a spooler isn't running error
Rebooting didn't help
I am going to try the dll patch next. L'll post my results
HP Recommended

@sammorxman wrote:
I'm working on just that. USB to parallel converter
Windows 8
Deskjet 712c

Win 8 recognizes the usb device, but doesnt seem to know it is a parallel port converter
I successfully downloaded a driver from hp
It will not print a test page. I get a spooler isn't running error
Rebooting didn't help
I am going to try the dll patch next. L'll post my results

Do you have a 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows 8?  The patch only applies for the 64 bit version.

Running the diagnostics at http://www.hp.com/go/tools may help resolve the issue of the spooler not running, I would suggest trying this before the patch.

Windows 8 is much fussier about driver signing for x64 systems.  If you are getting an error about driver signing you may get the patch working Windows 8 by temporarily disabling the driver signing checks as described here.

I will be looking forward to your results.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended
Hmmmm mia culpa..... 64 bit win 8
Viva Ubuntu. METRO sucks .... meh.... it's not all that bad but lord almighty what you have to do to get to the printer properties .... there are 3 different dialogs so named. and all are different... grrrrr
One should not have to circle the barn 3 times before entering. Personally, Microsoft lost me years ago. But I have to keep up so as to fix other bollixed computers..... 😛
HP Recommended

Though I have a USB to Paralell Converter, I'm using a Print Server instead, that works with my 64 bit Windows 7 using the patch. It will not work with Windows 8 though, using the print server in Windows 8 with the patch installed. For the heck of it I tried my USB to Paralell converter in Windows 8. Windows 8 recognizes it as being installed, but it will not print. No error messages. My printer is the 722c.

@Bob_Headrick wrote:

@darrel112 wrote:

I do not know that is true - no one has reported here getting it to work, but that does not necessarily mean it cannot.   I do not have any information on Windows 8 USB-parallel converters working, I am trying to get the hardware together to do some testing with a Win 8 machine with an actual parallel port just to eliminate one more variable.

I would certainly like to hear results from other folks out there.

HP Recommended

I Have a 820Cxi plugged in an Windows 8 x64 PC throught LPT1 printer port in the motherboard, I aplied the x64 patch for Windows 7, but still doesn't print.

I'm waiting a solution for this problem.

HP Recommended

I need your help! I have the same problem but in WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE (32 bits) is just the same proble when I try to print the satus is "error-printing" and cannot print nothing! HELP PLEASE... there's a patch for 32 bit version?

I Already followed the steps about changing ports 

HP Recommended

@Rafa0708 wrote:

I need your help! I have the same problem but in WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE (32 bits) is just the same proble when I try to print the satus is "error-printing" and cannot print nothing! HELP PLEASE... there's a patch for 32 bit version?

I Already followed the steps about changing ports 

No patch is needed (or available) for x86 versions.

What printer model?  How is the printer connected?  Will the printer print a standalone diagnostic test?

My best guess as to places to look would be the following:

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

@Kalilfss wrote:

I Have a 820Cxi plugged in an Windows 8 x64 PC throught LPT1 printer port in the motherboard, I aplied the x64 patch for Windows 7, but still doesn't print.

I'm waiting a solution for this problem.

Thanks for the information, it may help to narrow down the problem.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.