Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi Bob ! Thanks for answer. 

• What printer model?  (Hp Deskjet 710c) 
  • How is the printer connected?(USB-parallel adapter)
  • Will the printer print a standalone diagnostic test?  (NOTE: There are no internal clean or diagnostic tests for the HP Deskjet 710c and 720c series printers. The clean test can be performed from the printer’s toolbox. THE PRINTER DO NOT PRINT ANYTING)
  • The USB-parallel adapter (if you are using one) is supported by Windows 7

Also I have to let you know that when I try to print ..at the windows printer status displays "printing" but the print not even move or do somenthing after a minutes the status change to "error-printing"

Please Help me I need to print a work for my University!

HP Recommended

@darrel112 wrote:
It's not going to work with Windows 8. No need to even try. 

OK, I had a chance to install Windows 8 on a test machine with a parallel port.  I started with the x86 version, since there are many here reporting issues with the x64 version.  I installed a Deskjet 722c using the Windows Update drivers using Add a Printer.

After installing the printer I tried printing a test page, which resulted in an error.  I checked the spooler properties and there was an error indicated.  On a whim I changed the  spooler settings - right click on the Deskjet 720, select Printer Properties, Advanced and change the printer properties to "Print directly to port".  This initially failed because I still had a print job in the queue.  After deleting the print job and setting the Advenced setting to print directly to the port I was then able to print a Windows test page.  I also printed from Notepad!

Next I went back and changed the spooler settings to spool the print and it still prints properly.

For the next steps I plan to install the x64 version of Windows 8 and repeat the above tests.

[By the way, the reason the page below shows color: no is that I had it set to print in grayscale only - I borrowed an old Deskjet 722 and it does not have a properly working color cartridge.]

720win8.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended
Thanks again bob. I did try the advanced settings, print directly to printer, but I didn't think to delete the pending job
My reports back to you will be sporadic because the printer and win 8 machine are located at a clients building.
I'll be sure to let u know.
I have a good win 7 liscence and am going to dual boot a box I am building, Ubuntu (of course) and Win 7.
Then I will have a test bed.
HP Recommended

OK, I got the 64 bit version of Windows 8 installed and tried a test - same results as others are seeing.  No error, but print job stays in the queue with the status "printing" for five minutes or so, then disappears.

Switching the spooler to print directly did not make any difference.  The Windows troubleshooter did report some problem with the spooler, it automatically fixed that but it did not make any difference.

Next step is to apply the patch, then see if I can find out where things are going wrong.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Replying to Bob Headrick msg 384.

I used this succesfully with W7 but now trying with W8 64 bit I cannot find where to put hpvdb720.dll. The System32 folder does not apear to contain a folder called "spool", only "spoolss.dll" & " spoolsv.exe", neither of which contain drivers\x 64\3, in spite of having received a message that HP720C has been successfully installed, and is working correctly. I get the same error message as you about "spool problem" when trying to print and the document stays in the queue.

Any ideas/suggestions please? (I realise that the oriiginal thread was Vista/W7 but you have apparently moved on to W8 now)

HP Recommended

@Rafa0708 wrote:

Hi Bob ! Thanks for answer. 

• What printer model?  (Hp Deskjet 710c) 
  • How is the printer connected?(USB-parallel adapter)
  • Will the printer print a standalone diagnostic test?  (NOTE: There are no internal clean or diagnostic tests for the HP Deskjet 710c and 720c series printers. The clean test can be performed from the printer’s toolbox. THE PRINTER DO NOT PRINT ANYTING)
  • The USB-parallel adapter (if you are using one) is supported by Windows 7

Also I have to let you know that when I try to print ..at the windows printer status displays "printing" but the print not even move or do somenthing after a minutes the status change to "error-printing"

Please Help me I need to print a work for my University!

There is a simple nozzle diagnostic test that can be printed without the printer connected to a computer:  turn on the printer and wait for the power light to get to a green solid state.  Now press and hold the power button.  While holding the power button press and release the other button four times, then release the power button.

This will print a very simple nozzle diagnostic.  If this page prints properly it indicates the basic operation of the printer is OK.  If not you will need to troubleshoot the issue before proceeding.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

This is a reply to Rafa0708:  I too have a HP 710C, and achieved success after about 3 weeks of frustration, going through most, if not all, of the situations described in these posts. Please see my earlier post for my particular experience. But the short answer for you may be to just try a different adapter cable. Choose one that other users have reported do work. Because I have exactly the same printer as you, I suggest you try a Sabrent SBT-UPPC, which worked for me when cables from 2 other manufacturers did not, although all were claimed to be compatible and functional. Do not despair.

HP Recommended
Bingo.... that is the one I have. Just got from newegg
Sigh
I still havn't gotten back to the church to attempt to install the dll patch.
Love my situation....i am a computer consultant
The church board knows this
Then decided on a new all in one (no touch screen) and got win 8.
The machine is ok for all they do..... but they did not take the whole picture in.
I immensly dislike being called in to fix situations like this (pro bono) when it all could have been avoided
Sigh
I will post on this thread after I get back to the office and try some of the fixes suggested

THANKS SO MUCH for your input
Sam
HP Recommended

@sammorxman wrote:
Bingo.... that is the one I have. Just got from newegg
Sigh
I still havn't gotten back to the church to attempt to install the dll patch.
Love my situation....i am a computer consultant
The church board knows this
Then decided on a new all in one (no touch screen) and got win 8.
The machine is ok for all they do..... but they did not take the whole picture in.
I immensly dislike being called in to fix situations like this (pro bono) when it all could have been avoided
Sigh
I will post on this thread after I get back to the office and try some of the fixes suggested

THANKS SO MUCH for your input
Sam

Based on reports from several users and my own testing here I do not believe you will have any success with Windows 8 x64 and the current patch.  In this case a new printer may be in order.....

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended
Bob
Thank you so much for all your input. I had come to that realization a day or so ago and convinced the church to buy a new printer.

God bless you

Sam
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.