Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

You may have to "install" the cable first.   This happened when I attached my USB to Parallel cable to my SONY XP 32-bit computer.  My computer then saw the printr

HP Recommended

My Kudos to you, Bob.  Worked like a charm.

But now, I re-attached my 722c to my 32-bit XP computer, which is networked to my 64-bit Windows 7 computer.  How do I print from my Windows 7 computer, over my LAN  to the printer?   I am really confused on this.  Thanks, Bob.

HP Recommended

@TheRev01 wrote:

My Kudos to you, Bob.  Worked like a charm.

But now, I re-attached my 722c to my 32-bit XP computer, which is networked to my 64-bit Windows 7 computer.  How do I print from my Windows 7 computer, over my LAN  to the printer?   I am really confused on this.  Thanks, Bob.

First share the printer from your XP machine using the standard sharing.  Click Start, Printers and Faxes, right click on the Deskjet 720 series, Sharing, Enable Sharing.  Give it a name that would be recognizable such as HP722, Apply.  Next on the Windows 7 machine go Start,  Devices and Printers, Add a Printer, Local Printer, Create a Port, Local Port, \\Computername\Printername (use the actual share name for the  XP computer and printer), OK, then  select the Hewlett-Packard HP Deskjet 720 series driver.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

TheRev01, thank you for the suggestion. Are there steps I should take to install the cable? It was auto-detected when I connected it and the driver was automatically updated.

HP Recommended

Bonjour,

Rien de nouveau pour ce qui concerne l'application du patch à windows 8 ?? Merci.

HP Recommended

@juloss wrote:

Bonjour,

Rien de nouveau pour ce qui concerne l'application du patch à windows 8 ?? Merci.

[Translation:  Nothing new as regards the application of the patch to Windows 8? Thank you.

Sorry, not yet.  [Désolé, pas encore de progrès.]

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

When I plugged my cable into the computer, the same thing happened.  It was automatically installed.  Then, when I plugged the cable into my Deskjet 722C printer the printer was detected and installed.  I don't remember doing anything else. 

The printer had already been installed on my parallel port and used for a long time, but I then disconnected it and plugged a different printer into that parallel port.

Since I only had one parallel port and wanted both printers attached, I bought the USB-Parallel Converter cable.  It is an Inland brand.   I got it at Micro Center on 11/20/2007, and paid $10.99 for it. 

Both printers are still installed on an old desktop running on XP.  I don't know if any of this helps you. 

Good luck!I

HP Recommended

Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou!!!!!!!   Worked Perfectly!   I greatly appreciate your help and YOU!  I can't tell you how many hours I spent  trying to work this out by myself.  Kudos... Kudos... Kudos... ...

HP Recommended

I'm havingthe same  problem, and I really don't want to give up on my HP722C.  We we bought a new Dell Desktop computer last summer.  It runs Windows 7-64 bit, and it does not have a parallel port.  So my husband bought a  USB-Parallel converter cable, and found a patch to make it print from Windows 7 and we thought everything was fine.  Then I had to change an ink cartridge last night and I found that whenever I try to align the  printer cartridges windows explorer crashes. My problem exactly as daz7 described it below.  Has anyone out there solved this problem, or is my printer just too old for Windows 7, even though it prints fine?

HP Recommended

@imainelli wrote:

I'm havingthe same  problem, and I really don't want to give up on my HP722C.  We we bought a new Dell Desktop computer last summer.  It runs Windows 7-64 bit, and it does not have a parallel port.  So my husband bought a  USB-Parallel converter cable, and found a patch to make it print from Windows 7 and we thought everything was fine.  Then I had to change an ink cartridge last night and I found that whenever I try to align the  printer cartridges windows explorer crashes. My problem exactly as daz7 described it below.  Has anyone out there solved this problem, or is my printer just too old for Windows 7, even though it prints fine?

Unfortunately you can't align the cartridges with this patch. If you still have your old computer, use that one to align the cartridges.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.