Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Works for me too. Strange thing: why no warning/comment on download-driver-site of HP when I manually download driver for w7/64?

But: is printing now! Thanks a lot!

HP Recommended

A follow-up: I purchased the cable another user recommended and can confirm that the GWC AP1305-BG USB to Parallel Cable (Bi-Directional) - OEM from Newegg works for me! I'm running Windows 7 Home 64-bit.

The previous cable, a Monoprice USB to parallel cable, did NOT work for me on this setup. Judging from what I've read I would guess it works fine under Win7 32-bit. Anyway, buyer beware.

Thanks again to Bob Headrick and everyone who contributed to making this work. I hate having to retire old equipment simply due to lack of support. What great customer service!

HP Recommended

Hi Bob

I need to download this patch but in order to do it I need more instruction on saving the patch file to my computer. I am not able to follow this following part:

Save the patch file to your computer, then unzip it.  Next copy the three DLL files to the following directory:  %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3   

This can be done from a DOS prompt if DOS is opened with the "run as administrator" command, or from explorer with a copy and paste.  Depending on your UAC settings you may need to provide confirmation.  Also allow the current files to be overwritten if prompted.

Thanks

Dave

HP Recommended

I took theroom's advice and bought  the GWC AP1305-BG USB to Parallel Cable (Bi-Directional) - OEM from Newegg.  I plugged it in and Windows 7 installed the driver.  I then applied the patch that Bob Headrick pointed me to.   So far it's printing fine.  I have a Deskjet 722C and I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.  The printer shows up as Deskjet 720C but that doesn't seem to matter.  By the way, the specs on the cable don't mention Windows 7 but a number of the reviews for the cable on Newegg report also report success with Windows 7.

Many thanks to Bob Headrick for all the assistance and to theroom for the info on the specific cable to buy!

HP Recommended

Does anyone know if ULTRA Cable parallel to usb is a good cable? I bought one and my HP710c is not printing.....I am not sure if I installed the patch correctly. It would help to know if anyone has experience with Ultra Cables. Bought it online from Tiger Direct for $12.99. This is seriously frustrating!

HP Recommended

It worked!  Thank you so very much.

HP Recommended

Thanks! My old HP722C works like a charm now on my 64-bit W7 system. You're a wizard.

HP Recommended

I tried this... but the download is DLL and doesn't open. HOW DO I GET THIS PRINTER TO WORK WITH MY COMPUTER??? WILL SOMEONE HELP ME, PLEASE????

HP Recommended

@Lindaracha wrote:

I tried this... but the download is DLL and doesn't open. HOW DO I GET THIS PRINTER TO WORK WITH MY COMPUTER??? WILL SOMEONE HELP ME, PLEASE????

The patch files are dll files, you do not open them but rather copy them to the proper directory as described in the original post.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

What is the fix for a 32 bit Windows 7 user and why isn't this as simple to install as a full driver set?  This glitch and its fix is  outrageous.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.