Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Genius. Idol. Master of the Universe, I bow to your feet. I registered to the forum just to thank you. The patch worked like a charm.

HP Recommended

Hi Bob, in 2010 you posted a solution for HP-Printers with Windows 7. You mentioned, that you will give notice, if you found one for Windows 8 as well. I have the same problem with windows 8. Quite often the drivers for W 7 do help even in W 8. But not in my case: HP 720C does not work with the patch.

Any time I do search the forums for help in W 8 they only come up with solutions for W 7.

Thanks for help if possible

HP Recommended

@hp_poss wrote:

Hi Bob, in 2010 you posted a solution for HP-Printers with Windows 7. You mentioned, that you will give notice, if you found one for Windows 8 as well. I have the same problem with windows 8. Quite often the drivers for W 7 do help even in W 8. But not in my case: HP 720C does not work with the patch.

Any time I do search the forums for help in W 8 they only come up with solutions for W 7.

Thanks for help if possible

There have been some changes for Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 that make the previous patch not work.  I spent a fair amount of time trying to debug this on a system with a real LPT1: port (to eliminate the issues related to the USB-LPT converter cables) but did not make any progress.  It appears there is some communication issue but I have not made any progress and have not been working on this in recent times.

I have seen a few posts suggesting sharing the printer from an XP or Windows 7 machine.  Users have reported the printer works OK if connected to a supported machine but shared on the network to a Windows 8 or later machine. The user here suggests this can also be done by running a virtual machine.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi Bob,

I want to ask also for a modified patch for Win 10 for HP710C printer.

For Win 7 the patch works very fine, but now I switched to Win 10 and can not print anymore.

I am using the USP adapter.

Or do you no another solution to make the printer workable again ? 

I do not want to throw away such a good printer only because of Win 10

Thanks for your job.

Gerd.

HP Recommended

@Gerd_Munic wrote:

Hi Bob,

I want to ask also for a modified patch for Win 10 for HP710C printer.

For Win 7 the patch works very fine, but now I switched to Win 10 and can not print anymore.

I am using the USP adapter.

Or do you no another solution to make the printer workable again ? 

I do not want to throw away such a good printer only because of Win 10

Thanks for your job.

Gerd.

See my post here.  The only solution I see at this time is to connect the printer to an XP or Windows 7 machine (or a virtual machine) and share the printer on the network to Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 machines.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I have found a patch for Win10 here: http://semantic.gs/hp_deskjet_710c_driver_download. The upload was 05/20/2016 and the given manufacturer is HP, although the HP support has ended officially. There are 5 files in this patch: hp_deskjet_710c ("security catalog"), hp_deskjet_710c.dll ("application extension"), hp_deskjet_710c ("setup informations"), hp_deskjet_710c1.sys ("system file"), hp_deskjet_710c2.sys ("system file").

I have tried the installation manager with no effective result, and for installing only a printer driver the manual method is recommended. The device manager gives the message "The optimal driver software is installed already." Then I wanted to just copy the above given driver files to their original location, but I haven't found any original files with corresponding file names in my system. Now I have two questions:

1) Does the above given patch really consists of new files that could perhaps solve the problem with Win10 and HP DeskJet 71C or are that only old files in a new package?

2) How can I install such files to give them a try?

HP Recommended

Excellent ! Un grand merci pour ce patch 64bit qui a restauré ma vieille machine 720C encore bonne pour le service quelques temps. Un grand merci pour m'avoir réellement dépanné (après 5h00 de recherche sur le problème "spouleur-d-impression-bloqué erreur system 5")...

HP Recommended

Hi Bob,

Mind helping me please. I read the whole post and it seems to work for everyone but I can't even move past step 1 probably on my end. I have a deskjet 710C and I am trying to install it on Windows 7 x64 using usb to parallel connection.

I did find the driver in the printer driver through windows update.

But the usb will always not be recognised when I plug it in. Also, in the ports, there is no USB00X. Only LPT00X or COM00X etc.

I did try copy / pasting the 3 files in the link but that did not change anything. Sending any print job fails straight away. Not sure why but probably because the pritner is just not being recognised..

Please advise.

Thanks

Kevin

HP Recommended

@Buayaking wrote:

Hi Bob,

Mind helping me please. I read the whole post and it seems to work for everyone but I can't even move past step 1 probably on my end. I have a deskjet 710C and I am trying to install it on Windows 7 x64 using usb to parallel connection.

I did find the driver in the printer driver through windows update.

But the usb will always not be recognised when I plug it in. Also, in the ports, there is no USB00X. Only LPT00X or COM00X etc.

I did try copy / pasting the 3 files in the link but that did not change anything. Sending any print job fails straight away. Not sure why but probably because the pritner is just not being recognised..

Please advise.

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin - my suspicion would be either the port selection or an issue with the USB-Parallel converter.  I would start by trying each of the LPT ports.  Some the USB-Parallel converters would provide a port such as LPT3: or similar.  I would suggest trying each of the LPT ports.

The other possibility is an issue with the USB-Parallel converter.  I have heard lots of models that do not work.  The models in the posts tagged here are those users in the forum have reported working with Windows 7 x64.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply.

I did go through all the ports from LPT001-003 and COM001 to COM004. No difference.

So I guess this is the only option? 😞

Thanks anyway for the help.

Have a good wkened

Kevin

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.