Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Bob,

I gave up on getting my HP 722c to work on Vista again.  I bought a PC with Windows 7 on it and replaced parents older machine with my old Vista machine. I then applied the patch on the new machine so I can use the HP 722c and it works like a charm.  Thanks.

Mike

HP Recommended

Perfect!!

Thanks so much!!!!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the patch! I have just installed my HP710C on my new PC running Windows 7 64-bit, using a USB to parallel connector as follows:

Install the cable first, let Windows find the driver for the cable

Power up the printer and connect to the cable

Go to "devices and printers" - refresh the list and find the 710C to install the drivers

Replace the drivers with your patch as per the instructions in this thread

Delete the printer again and re-install choosing the option to use currently installed drivers.

Then it worked printing from Word! (before this there wasn't a spooler error, there was a message saying no printer was installed)

Without your help I would never have been able to work out what was wrong. I found this post by accident. I'm 58 and not all that technical, if I can do this anyone can. Only one question.... if this is a known problem, why on the earth isn't the patch file included in the normal driver software??

thanks again, my printer is now working thanks to you. Many thanks!

HP Recommended

Thanks much, Bob. Your solution was right on and your instructions were clear and easy to follow. You've saved my "oldie but goodie"printer from the scrap heap. Thanks.

HP Recommended

@VeronE wrote:

Thanks for the patch! I have just installed my HP710C on my new PC running Windows 7 64-bit, using a USB to parallel connector as follows: [snip]

Only one question.... if this is a known problem, why on the earth isn't the patch file included in the normal driver software??

thanks again, my printer is now working thanks to you. Many thanks!

I am glad I could help.  

The patch is not "official" although it is actually made of files from the x64 drivers.  To officially release the patch would require a $ignificant amount of testing, which does not seem to be in the works for printers that were originally released a dozen years ago or more.  I do agree that it would be nice if the HP download page for the drivers at least mentioned the patch.  I do not work for HP and have very little leverage these days to drive changes.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks anyway - I object on principle, to having to ditch perfectly usable machines, just because they are old - for environmental reasons apart from anything else.  The 710C has given totally trouble-free service, the whole time I have owned it since I bought my original PC, longer ago than I care to remember. i am now recommending your patch to anyone I can, since if you read the reviews on Amazon it's obvious that a number of people have had this same problem and have ended up buying new printers. BTW the cable used was by ABC Products from Amazon.co.uk at http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000PALZFO/ref=oss_product if you want to add this to your list of cables that work.

HP Recommended

I feel like a real plonker, but when ever i enter the DOS command with run as administrator command and enter the directory address - %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3 it states the following -  C:\windows\system32\drivers\x64\3 is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I am running W7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Printer 710c on USB001.

If anyone can please help.

HP Recommended

@keller22 wrote:

I feel like a real plonker, but when ever i enter the DOS command with run as administrator command and enter the directory address - %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3 it states the following -  C:\windows\system32\drivers\x64\3 is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I am running W7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Printer 710c on USB001.

If anyone can please help.

The command to type in the DOS window is:

CD %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Great, as they say, one small step, thanks for the nudge, buttt now all that happens in dos is -

C:\windows\system32\drivers\x64\3 and a blinking curser ?? 

sorry can you prompt any further. please.

HP Recommended

Hi again, Just to let you know i finally got the printer to work. I was getting nowhere in DOS so after a bit of searching i was finally able to copy and paste via explorer. Hey presto im happy again.

Thank you so much for your time and a great link.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.