Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the information!  It's not the answer I was hoping for, but it is better than not having an answer at all.  I'm coming to terms with the reality that the days of my HP 722C are very limited, which is really a shame because it still prints very well, and it's just the right size and shape for my space.  Oh well, nothing much more I can do.  At least now I won't spend any more time trying to make it work with Windows 7 or 8.  I don't think any of our machines running older versions are still working to use them for the alignments, otherwise I'd be happily using them for everything else too.

HP Recommended

@imainelli wrote:

Thank you very much for the information!  It's not the answer I was hoping for, but it is better than not having an answer at all.  I'm coming to terms with the reality that the days of my HP 722C are very limited, which is really a shame because it still prints very well, and it's just the right size and shape for my space.  Oh well, nothing much more I can do.  At least now I won't spend any more time trying to make it work with Windows 7 or 8.  I don't think any of our machines running older versions are still working to use them for the alignments, otherwise I'd be happily using them for everything else too.

I bought my 722C back in 1998 still works well, but I have the same problem, and now have Windows 8.1 on my main computer. I do have 2 newer printers, but still prefer the 722c for some printing. It's stingy on ink. The new printers guzzle it. Try printing without the alignment it maybe ok.

HP Recommended

Yes, I will print without the alignment for as long as I can, and the 722C doesn't need one very often.  Also my husband just remembered that the oldest functioning computer we have, a Packard Bell from 1996(?) which runs Windows 95 might  be able to do the alignment when we need one.  So we'll check that out some day  before the ink cartridge that I just put in the other day runs out.  Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Has a driver for Windows 8/8.1 been created? 

Just to confirm, I can see a print job going into the print que for my HP 720C. The print job disappears immediately.

The print job never prints though.

Is this a symptom that this patch is suppose to take care of?

Thanks for any help!

HP Recommended

DrJohnWhiting,

Thanks for the response. So as I understand your solution, you are doing a simple share of a printer from an XP box.

Is this correct?  I can see if this gives me print capabilities for my Windows 8.1 box.

Don't you still need to have a driver installed on your Windows 8.1 box? And, if so, wouldn't it need to be one without

the issues listed in this forum thread?

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

I just want to send a huge THANK YOU to all of you who shared this solution.

The patch solved my problem and I can now print from W7 64-bit on my still working HP DeskJet 710 C.

The printer is my second since the first one gave up after a few years. It's good enough for years to come.

/Hi8

HP Recommended

Having a bit of a problem.  I have two machines, one is Windows XP Pro SP3 and the other is Windows 7 Pro SP1.  I also have a D Link DIR655 router and am using the SharePort to access the HPDeskJet820CSE that is plugged into the back of the D Link router in the SharePort slot.

I am able to use the printer on the Windows XP Prop SP3 machine with no problems so I know that the SharePort and the USA cable are working properly.

I ran the patch and moved the three .dll files into the C3 folder as indicated in the first post.  I installed SharePort and configured it for use, in this case on the USB003 port, this is what it defaulted to.

The printer is working but here is the problem.  It will not eject the paper when using the Win 7 machine but will eject the paper using the Win XP machine.  I did the hard reset as recommended and that did not solve the problem.

Anything I print from the Win 7 machine will not eject from the printer once it iss printed.  It prints the last line of the document then stutters and errors out with a flashing green light.  If I turn the printer off, the paper is ejected.

I noticed with the print jop window open that the document shows that it is being printed and then it disappears as soon as the last line of the document is printed.  I think that there is a timing issue that is not allowing the print job to complete causing the document that is printed to remain in the printer instead of being ejected.

Any thoughts on this and any help appreciated.

BTW, thank for the fix. Thank you and Thank you again.

I am pretty tired of the OS support ending requiring an OS update but the legacy hardware now becomes obsolete even though it is woking fine.  It kills me that I have to go out and buy "up to date" hardware when the hardware that I have is still working fine.  I also have an issue with my scanner that is now "obsolete" even though it works just fine in Windows XP but not in Windows 7.  You can tell how this irks me as I still use my 1980's era Pioneer Stereo System that I bought while in the Army while stationed overseas.  Nothing like the sound of an LP......

HP Recommended

Resolved.  Apparently it only happens when you try to print a "Test Page" from the printer control panel.  When I printed a .pdf doc, it worked just fine.  Sorry for the troubles....

Thanks you again though for your patch.

HP Recommended
After trying out everything that I saw on the Internet, your solution is the one that worked for my HP DeskJet 720C and Windows 7 combination. Thanks a lot!
HP Recommended

You are a genius!  Thanks so much!  I have a cheapo All-in one printer (brand new) giving me fits so I'm going back to my old workhorse HP712C.   You are a life saver.

Thank you

thank you

thank you

Brian

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.