Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Honestly this post is more for the people at HP.

For those of you who stumble upon this from the Internet looking to disable FTP communication in JetAdmin, you can't. JetAdmin only allows you to disable FTP Printing, but communication with the printer using FTP is still enabled, which is a major vulnerability in a network. For the people at HP, can you make this a feature in JetAdmin to disable FTP configuration completely? I had to manually do each printer at my company using Telnet and we have over 100 printers. So is this possible in a new WJA update?

For those of you looking for a quick solution like myself, you have to disable FTP through the JetDirect server using Telnet.

1. Open Command Prompt and type "telnet <ip address of printer>" Ex. telnet 192.X.X.X

2. If it asks for a password, enter it in. To reset your password, printer must be cold reset or you can reset security within your printer's control panel.

3. After password, type "ftp-config: 0" to disable FTP communication. (Some HP Printers use "ftp-download: 0", so try both)

4. Type "quit" and then "Y" to save your settings.

If you type "/" while being in the JetDirect Telnet, you can see your printer's current settings. Type "?" for more commands. After I disabled FTP, I disabled Telnet using JetAdmin which I could apply to all my printers.

While this works, it is highly inefficient for multiple printers and I really wish this was just a box I could check using WJA. Any HP employees have a better solution or news of a new update for WJA?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.