Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Screenshot 2016-11-07 15.56.34.pngScreenshot 2016-11-07 15.58.36.png

Duplex priniting option is available on windows 7 devices but not with the new windows 10 laptop. I have installed an updated printer driver but it appears that the double sided printing option is still missing (see above).

I was wondering whether there are newer driver/extra software required to regain this function?

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

From your images, it seems that your printer model is a DeskJet 2540 printer (I know little about such devices - my expertise is with business-class laser printers).

The specification sheet for this printer shows:

Capture.PNG

i.e. the device does not have a physical duplex unit, so it can't perform automatic duplexing, and this is why there is no relevant installable option.

It can only do manual duplexing (where one side of each page is printed, the sheets removed from the output bin and placed back in the input tray, then the other side of each page is printed on the reverse).

This manual duplexing depends on it being supported by the application and printer driver.

From your images, it seems that you are using a "DeskJet 2540 Series Class Driver".

I think that many of these "Class" drivers are 'bare-bones mimimal function", which is probably why you cannot find a duplex feature.

Your only option is probably to check to see if there is a different (non-Class) driver available for your operating system version.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

The 'automatic discovery' feature used by some drivers on installation (or update) doesn't always work; ensure that the driver knows that a duplex unit is present on the printer (assuming that one is):

• For the printer instance in question, bring up the Printer properties dialogue.
  • Select the Device settings tab.
  • Ensure that the duplex unit is set to Installed rather than Not installed.

You'll probably need to be logged in with administrator credentials in order to change the device settings.

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying.

Under Device settings, there are only installable options which doesn't include duplex unit?

Screenshot 2016-11-08 20.10.35.png

HP Recommended

From your images, it seems that your printer model is a DeskJet 2540 printer (I know little about such devices - my expertise is with business-class laser printers).

The specification sheet for this printer shows:

Capture.PNG

i.e. the device does not have a physical duplex unit, so it can't perform automatic duplexing, and this is why there is no relevant installable option.

It can only do manual duplexing (where one side of each page is printed, the sheets removed from the output bin and placed back in the input tray, then the other side of each page is printed on the reverse).

This manual duplexing depends on it being supported by the application and printer driver.

From your images, it seems that you are using a "DeskJet 2540 Series Class Driver".

I think that many of these "Class" drivers are 'bare-bones mimimal function", which is probably why you cannot find a duplex feature.

Your only option is probably to check to see if there is a different (non-Class) driver available for your operating system version.

HP Recommended

Downloaded the Full Features driver package & removed the Class Drivers. The duplex printing option is now available. 

Thanks so much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.