Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I can't even seem to download this driver or at least get it to open.

I click on the download, it downloads a DOT4X64 file, then when I click on that  it asks if I want to allow it to make changes to the computer, I hit yes, then nothing happens. If it click on the file, nothing happens. I am signed in as administrator. 

Is it because it says its for WIndows 8 so it is incompatible with Windows 10?

Wonder how come you could get it to work. 

Any help with this? Thanks

HP Recommended

I never get to anything that says RUN or install. 

HP Recommended

IT's working! Thanks anyway. 
It never gave me option to run, or said I was connected to new device or anything, just quietly added to the printer to my devices and now working this time. Maybe it was the unplugging of the USB cord from the printer as you suggested. 

BTW, the HP link you gave now lists Windows 10 as one of the OS for this driver. 

HP Recommended

Thank you SOOOOOOOO much! I been trying all last night and today to get a cool handme down printer to work! Thank you so much!

@Carolina_Guy wrote:
I had the same issue again. I recently had to reformat my hard drive and I received the same error message. This is what I did: 1) Disconnect the printer USB cord from the printer. 2) Open device and printers, right click on the printer and click remove device. 3) Go to the HP website and download the driver for Windows 8 32 or 64 bit dependin on your system) 4) Once the driver is downloaded, right click and run the installer as the administrator. 5) After installation finishes, reconnect the printer. Windows should detect that you gave connected a new device and go through a driver installation. Once that is complete, see if it works and let me know.

HP Recommended

I just run with a Windows 8 Drivers in comptibel mode is working but is not relly 100% perfect. 

Would love to see some drivers officelt for Windows 10 64 bit. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the solution. many thanks!!!!

HP Recommended

@sweetypea2127 wrote:

Thank you SOOOOOOOO much! I been trying all last night and today to get a cool handme down printer to work! Thank you so much!

@Carolina_Guy wrote:
I had the same issue again. I recently had to reformat my hard drive and I received the same error message. This is what I did: 1) Disconnect the printer USB cord from the printer. 2) Open device and printers, right click on the printer and click remove device. 3) Go to the HP website and download the driver for Windows 8 32 or 64 bit dependin on your system) 4) Once the driver is downloaded, right click and run the installer as the administrator. 5) After installation finishes, reconnect the printer. Windows should detect that you gave connected a new device and go through a driver installation. Once that is complete, see if it works and let me know.

+1 This resolved my issue, thanks! Unplug printer > remove device (then restart). Download Win8 printers (link below), then R-click on the EXE and choose "Windows 8" compatibility mode, and "run as Admin", install drivers (then restart). Plug in printer, wait for drivers to auto-detect and install (then restart). Plug in printer again - works for me!

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=1140729

HP Recommended

Hi Carolina Guy.  I am just now trying this fix for a printer that was donated to me.  But I am unsure whether or not the Dot4 download is accomplished.  I never get an option to "run the installer as the administrator"... Are you still active on the forum and can you give me some help?

HP Recommended

Hi...I tried this but it isnt working. I have a brand spanking new HP Desktop and Laptop with Win 10.  I also have just purchased new cartridges for my 1600...so this is getting to be quite expensive for a system that isn't working!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.