Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Color Laser Pro 477 FNW
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ok - Someone is going to ask about my machine --- Windows 10 Pro (64), 128 GB of Ram,  Intel 3.2 Processor, 6 GB Graphics, 450 GB of free HD space ... it's not my machine with the issue.

Tried to install the Drivers and Software from disk ... reaches 99 % then times out after 2.5 minutes with an error message (yes, I timed it after the 3rd try)

Downloaded from HP website - Same issue.

Windows recognizes the Printer so it does work - but only the printer.

I have uninstalled this printer and attempted to install with the HP software and drivers a dozen times - each time I have to wait 20 minutes for this process to reach the 99% before the error message.

I end up with a Windows default for the printer to work ...

Something is seriously wrong with the installation process by HP.

Should I be looking at Samsumg or Canon instead?

:smileymad::smileymad::smileymad:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @pc821,

Appreciate your efforts!

I think I found a solution after some digging. Try the steps below and check:

DO THIS DURING THE HP INSTALL PROCESS (when the percentage counter is going)

1. Go into the device manager and find the printer in the list of devices

2. Right click on the printer and select "Update Driver software"

3. Click "Browse my computer for driver software"

4. Select "Let me pick from...."

5. Select the driver named: HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477 PCL-6         (Make sure its the one with a dash between the pcl and 6!)

6. Click next and go back to the hp install box and it should now see the printer and continue the install.

Let me know if that helps!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello, @pc821 – Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for engaging in the HP Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. 

I understand that you are having trouble installing your LaserJet machine on your Windows 10 PC. I will certainly do my best to help you fix this issue 🙂

Let’s try to fix this issue by doing a clean install. Follow the steps mentioned below:

• First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP LaserJet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.
  • Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.
  • Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer”  – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".
  • Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.
  • Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Once done you can try cleaning out your temporary files and cached files. You can try using automated applications like some cleaner software's that you can download from the internet.
  • Now restart your computer again.
  • Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.
  • Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.
  • Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.
  • Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well.
  • Click on http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL61848/t2-149283-2/HP_Color_LJ_Pro_MFP_M477-PCL-6_Print_D... and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable only when prompted.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Cheers & Wish you a very happy new year 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

:indifferent:

Did not work ... tried as you suggested 3 different times. Below is the message of the end result.

This is what happens:

Product has been recognized

Prepare to Install (check)

Connect The Product (USB cable is now connected - gets to 99%)

Then I get this wonderful message:

Error

An install operation took too long to execute. This is a fatal error preventing product use.

Please restart your computer, and run this installer again. If the problem persists, please check the product support web site for your product.

This occurs when using the CD and the download version.

So, I have no scanner function from the desktop, guess it's a good thing I don't need the FAX function.  Sad thing is that I paid 400.00 for this soon to be fish habitat.

:smileymad::smileymad::smileymad:

HP Recommended

Hello @pc821,

Appreciate your efforts!

I think I found a solution after some digging. Try the steps below and check:

DO THIS DURING THE HP INSTALL PROCESS (when the percentage counter is going)

1. Go into the device manager and find the printer in the list of devices

2. Right click on the printer and select "Update Driver software"

3. Click "Browse my computer for driver software"

4. Select "Let me pick from...."

5. Select the driver named: HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477 PCL-6         (Make sure its the one with a dash between the pcl and 6!)

6. Click next and go back to the hp install box and it should now see the printer and continue the install.

Let me know if that helps!

Good luck 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you,  :OpenSmile:

That did work.  I appreciate you help.

Following your first instruction then the second ...

Install time was about 7 minutes as opposed to the 20 minutes from the previous attempts.

Again, Thank you for your help.

(p.s. --- hope you have a happy New Year!)

HP Recommended

Hello @pc821,

Great stuff! Glad to know that you were able to fix the issue.

Wish you & your family a very happy and prosperous 2017 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

HP IS TO BLAME FOR THE FACT THAT PEOPLE USING WINDOWS 10 CAN NOT INSTALL DRIVERS!
THE DRIVERS UPGRADE REFUSES TO INSTALL AND GIVES ERROR MESSAGE THAT HP HAS NOT DIGITALLY SIGNED THE CERTIFICATE SO WINDOWS READS IT AS INCOMPATIBLE AND REFUSES TO INSTALL BLOCKS IT SAYS SAY NO TO INCOMPATIBLE INSTALL IF PEOPLE SAY YES INSTALL ANYWAYS IT REFUSES ON WINDOWS 10 BECAUSE

HP NEEDS TO START SIGNING THE DIGITAL CERTIFICATES SO WINDOWS 10 RECOGNIZES IT!

OTHERWISE NO ONE CAN INSTALL YOUR DRIVERS AND THEN PRINTERS AND SCANNERS WILL NOT WORK RENDERED HP MACHINES A PIECE OF JUNK! IT IS HPS FAULT!

HP TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE PROBLEM YOU CAUSED SIGN THE DIGITAL CERTIFICATES ON ALL OF THE DRIVER UPDATES AND THEN PEOPLES MACHINES CAN BE COMPATIBLE!

HP NEEDS TO WORK THIS OUT WITH MICROSOFT ASAP OR I WILL SUE YOU FOR FRAUD FOR TAKING MY MONEY FOR PRINTER SCANNER THAT IS RENDERED USELESS DUE TO YOUR FAILURE TO MAKE SOFTWARE DRIVERS COMPATIBLE !

HP SIGN DIGITL CERTIFICATES

AND

DO NOT FORCE PEOPLE TO DOWNLOAD SOFTWARE TO DOWNLOAD DRIVERS YOU ARE BUNDLING BING CRAP AND SNAPFISH GARBAGE SOFTWARE THAT IS TAKING UP SPAGE ON PEOPLES MACHINES OVERBURDENING IT PEOPLE ESPECIALLY ON LAPTOPS HAVE LIMITED SPACE JUST HAVE A PAGE WHER LINKS TO THE EXACT DRIVER UPDATES FOR EACH CAN BE FOUND AND CLICKED ON MAKE IT SIMPLE!

OTHERWISE HAVE A SUPPORT PAGE WITH THE INFO TO GO TO DEVICE MANAGER FIND PRINTER SCANNERS AND UPGRADE HAVE THAT EXPLANATION ON THE MAIN PAGE FOR HELP!

AND TO MAKE THE UPGRADES DRIVERS WORK GET YOUR COMPANY TO DIGITALLY SIGN THE DRIVER CERTIFICATES SO IT IS COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS 10 GET IN TALKS WITH MICROSOFT TO FIX THIS ASAP BECAUSE NO ONE CAN DOWNLOAD OR UPDATE DRIVERS TO MAKE THE MACHINES WORK THEY ARE JUST RENDERED USELESS A HUNK OF JUNK AND IT IS YOUR FAULT!

HP SIGN THE DIGITAL CERTIFICATES ASAP!

CONTACT MICROSOFT DEVELOPERS AND TELL THEM THE PROBLEMS THEY CAUSED BECAUSE THEIR OPERATING SYSTEM IS BLOCKING DRIVER UPDATES! 

FIX THIS ASAP!

EMAIL ME ASAP WHEN YOU HAVE THE DIGITAL CERTIFICATES FIXED BY SIGNING THEM SO I CAN MAKE MY SCANNER PRINTER WORK I HAVE COURT CASES I HAVE TO HAVE SCANNER PRINTER WORKING

IF HP REFUSES TO DO WHAT IT TAKES TO FIX THIS THEN YOU WILL BE SUED!

EMAIL ME A RESPONSE ASAP!
KAUFMANKRISTA@GMAIL.COM

HP Recommended

Hello@DIGITALDIVA1,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

HI, 

I have an identical problem and the support staff is pinponging me betwennn business and home users, between countries and continents, they gave me wrong phone numbers for Europe,  i spent two days om my life dealing with this. I will probabli never tuch a HP product again after this experience.

I have an windos 10 x64  on my computer, and the HP Software happily anounce every (BIP)time that it has insalled the software but is nothing there :(.

i tried to locate that driver but I can't find it: where is it located? 

It is an inf file, isnt it? What is the name of the. inf then?

thank you 

HP Recommended

OMG!

It works, but i didn't select anything like a diver, just opening the folder does the job, I kept it open until software were installed and after that  I choose" Cancel". You are the smart. Until now only bs was provided by support.
Also it will be useful to have a list of action that the setup is sequentially doing during installation and try to activate manually all the msi/exe packages as the setup does to see were it fails, because the software thinks that is doing OK.

Thank you!
Sorin

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.